Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Games won't let me toggle HDR unless it's enabled in the display settings of windows. As soon as I do this, everything looks horrible. Loading into a game then enabling HDR still looks significantly worse than standard.

What gives? I'v played several HDR games in the past on Win10 and never had to toggle HDR in the windows display settings. It just let me enable it in the game and everything looked correct.

I went into Nvidia settings and set my colors to 4:2:0 12bpc and tried various other settings and it all looks bad.

My TV has no problems with displaying HDR content from any other source. I'v checked the TV settings as well.

Currently playing Cyberpunk 2077 and everything looks awesome at 4k with RT on, but I was hoping to get HDR working as well.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also checked this HDR video on youtube. It's showing that HDR is streaming from youtube on PC.

From my PC, the colors are bad. The same video being streamed from the youtube app on the TV looks fine.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,575 Posts
What is the model number of your tv or monitor?

HDR means your display has a ten bit color depth but there are many screens that have 8 bit color depth that use things like dithering to upscale their color depth. If you have an 8 bit display that is HDR capable, it can looks pretty weird in windows with HDR enabled. You wouldn't notice the difference in videos but it definitely stands out in windows. You can just disable HDR if you want or try setting to 8bcp.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the model number of your tv or monitor?

HDR means your display has a ten bit color depth but there are many screens that have 8 bit color depth that use things like dithering to upscale their color depth. If you have an 8 bit display that is HDR capable, it can looks pretty weird in windows with HDR enabled. You wouldn't notice the difference in videos but it definitely stands out in windows. You can just disable HDR if you want or try setting to 8bcp.
I'm using a Samsung KS8000 series which has a 10-bit panel rated for 1000 nits. So it does meet the technical standards for HDR10.

Enabling HDR on desktop makes everything gray. White now looks gray and milky. In game colors such as red turn milky pink ect.. The game doesn't even get the darker blacks that it should.

I found some older photos of me testing HDR in RE7on this PC and TV in the past, and the photos showed the HDR was working fine back then (crappy phone camera).

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,556 Posts
Sounds like a gamma issue. you could check what those are in your video card, and monitor settings and check that you are using the full color range for both.

·
Overclocked by Jesus
4,759 Posts
I have the same TV. Try setting nvidia color options to use defaults. Sometimes Windows tries to set it a certain way and with nvidia overriding it, it can cause issues.

·
PC Evangelist
47,629 Posts
Game Implementation matters. CP2077 have very good HDR.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,575 Posts
That's just what it looks like when you look at SDR content on an HDR screen. Windows 10 has a built in brightness slider that adjusts the brightness of SDR content when HDR is enabled. If you turn that up it should help.

In windows you basically want to keep HDR off unless your actually watching/playing something that uses it. Windows itself just looks worse however I actually prefer to keep it on because the dimmer colors give me less eye strain.

• Rep+
Reactions: paulerxx

·
Gamer
3,647 Posts
That's just what it looks like when you look at SDR content on an HDR screen. Windows 10 has a built in brightness slider that adjusts the brightness of SDR content when HDR is enabled. If you turn that up it should help.

In windows you basically want to keep HDR off unless your actually watching/playing something that uses it. Windows itself just looks worse however I actually prefer to keep it on because the dimmer colors give me less eye strain.
This.
HDR looks great when connected to my TV, through Windows.
Something is not set correctly + you shouldn't have HDR enabled on non-HDR titles/while browsing on Windows. Some titles work with certain settings better than others, which yes..Is very annoying.

·
Banned
8,590 Posts
Shocked that YouTube video looks fine for you. I haven't had any trouble with HDR in games but can confirm Chromium full screen HDR is broken in both current versions of stable Chrome and New Edge. Beta Chrome and New Edge have fixed the oversaturated issue again.

I do hate how some developers picked a lazy implementation that requires toggling "Stream HDR video" for HDR content to enable. Doom Eternal and Wolfenstein Youngblood work correctly thanks to id Tech. While Godfall, Gears 5 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider all needed a manual switch toggle.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,575 Posts
hmm weird, works fine for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts