Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This topic has been addressed before regarding users that change multiple parts out in a PC, for example MOBO and CPU. Mine is just a bit different, I have a perfectly good 1150 MOBO that I'm currently running an i5 CPU on, and the system was activated through a (valid) 8.1 key to Win 10. Sometime in the next few months (and likely beyond the free W10 period termination date) I am going to swap out the CPU for an i7. This is the only part I will be changing out. Has any here tried this (a CPU swap) and can say for certain if this will invalidate the license. I don't mind calling Microsoft (have done so many times in the past), but in this case, I'd prefer not to wipe HDs and reinstall / re-activate.

Has anyone actually done something similar to this (just a CPU swap)? Did it trigger a W10 deactivation?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
Mine activated fine after changing from Celeron to i5. You shouldn't have issues.

·
13,090 Posts
As far as I'm aware and from all my builds at home, Windows 10 just looks at the motherboard and windows product key for activation. So changing RAM, CPU, GPU, PSU, HDD, SSD, etc. should not affect the activation.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Changing processor only does not cause an issue. Changing the processor AND the motherboard will trigger that though especially if it's a totally different motherboard.

IIRC, changing motherboard is counted by MS as being a new computer.

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
From what ive seen though some people have had luck activating the new mobo even if you do change it out. CPU only shouldnt be a problem, cpu has no id tag and info like the mobo does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts