Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning my migration to Win 7 on to a new HD. What I'd like to know is if I can install the OS and begin installing apps while that drive is connected to my second SATA port on my MB, and my current XP drive is still connected to SATA1. I guess I'd need to see if I can sepcify in BIOS which drive would be the boot drive... is this possible?

Or maybe I should ask - is there a way to have a dual drive / dual boot XP/7 arrangement?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yeah, you shouldn't have any issues with this

Then I take it you are going to migrate all the old xp files over to win 7?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Yep no issue at all. Windows 7 will let you specify what drive to install to.

·
god loves ugly
4,212 Posts
Just install 7 to the second drive. It will replace XP's bootloader, make 7 the default option, and still allow you to chose XP.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Odel View Post
Yeah, you shouldn't have any issues with this

Then I take it you are going to migrate all the old xp files over to win 7?
Good stuff. Yep, I want to keep the XP disk intact as I slowly reinstall programs on to the 7 disk and then migrate data, etc over from the XP disk. It'll give me the option of making sure things work with a safe fallback.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehmaggot View Post
Just install 7 to the second drive. It will replace XP's bootloader, make 7 the default option, and still allow you to chose XP.
That's sounds like a slick way to do it, but is that a special install option? I want to can I say no to that and just manage which disk is used for boot in my BIOS?

I'm thinking that I wouldn't want to install in a way that would create a load-time expectation of XP being there when I'll eventually be pulling that disk when the migration is done.

·
god loves ugly
4,212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyptony
View Post

Good stuff. Yep, I want to keep the XP disk intact as I slowly reinstall programs on to the 7 disk and then migrate data, etc over from the XP disk. It'll give me the option of making sure things work with a safe fallback.

That's sounds like a slick way to do it, but is that a special install option? I want to can I say no to that and just manage which disk is used for boot in my BIOS?

I'm thinking that I wouldn't want to install in a way that would create a load-time expectation of XP being there when I'll eventually be pulling that disk when the migration is done.

In that case, just unplug either the power or data cables for the XP drive before installing 7. After the 7 install finishes, hook the XP drive back up and 7 will recognize the drive and allow you to access it. This way, you can just use your BIOS as a bootloader.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tehmaggot
View Post

In that case, just unplug either the power or data cables for the XP drive before installing 7. After the 7 install finishes, hook the XP drive back up and 7 will recognize the drive and allow you to access it. This way, you can just use your BIOS as a bootloader.

Sweet. Worth a rep point IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts