Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres my problem. I just installed windows 7. Before it was XP pro, everything worked fine for it. But now come win 7, i cannot get my mic to work (audio is fine). All i get is static. I have tried disabling onboard audio and uninstalling the drivers. Ive tried the mic in different audio jacks on my card. Ive tried changing the recording device in the sound settings. Nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Info:
Mobo is a Asus H3N-HT Deluxe, the 780a SLI chipset one.
Sound card is the Sound Blaster Xtreme Gamer.
Win7 Pro.

Screens of settings:

Any help, tips info or questions let me know.
Thanks OCN

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Not sure about the Xtreme Gamer, but on the XtremeMusic, it's a Flexi-Jack that can be used for a multiple things. However, you have to set it for what you want it to be used as via the Creative Audio Control Panel.

It's worth a look-see. Also look around in Creative's settings a bit to make sure your mic isn't muted, and/or if you can use a Mic Boost or somesuch.

• Rep+
Reactions: Poseiden

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, yes my mic definatly should work. It worked 10 min before install windows7 at least. And i fixed the co processor, that just was chipset junk.

and as far as the flexi-jack, i think mine is the same thing since i can change it between settings as shown on the following picture.

Do you see anything wrong with my setup? It should be the same as the above pictures for the other settings.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poseiden View Post
First, yes my mic definatly should work. It worked 10 min before install windows7 at least. And i fixed the co processor, that just was chipset junk.

and as far as the flexi-jack, i think mine is the same thing since i can change it between settings as shown on the following picture.

Do you see anything wrong with my setup? It should be the same as the above pictures for the other settings.
The only thing I see in this particular screenshot is that the Microphone level should be muted, and then the Recording level should be changed from What U Hear to Microphone. Also, the level should be left at 50% unless you need to adjust it. Additionally, the main volume level should never need to be set to 100%. With my system, I have noticed that this can sometimes cause distortion since the sound card's output is at its highest level. But then I guess this is why people prefer to use headphone amps. Hmm. So nevermind (that is, unless you get an amp).

Also, what are your Graphic EQ and Crystalizer settings?

• Rep+
Reactions: Poseiden

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for tips, ill try em out. And as far as EQ and Crystalizer, EQ is set to flat all at 0db, and crystalizer is unchecked.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok after trying again it doesnt work still
. I changed settings to what you said. All i get is some minor static for the length of my record time. Also tried rotating the "recording" part to see if the others worked. Nada.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Ok after trying again it doesnt work still
. I changed settings to what you said. All i get is some minor static for the length of my record time. Also tried rotating the "recording" part to see if the others worked. Nada.
Weird. What are you using to record? I mean, which software? I'm hoping that I know the software.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not personally trying to record anything, im trying to get my mic on my headset to work for games. Ingame for CSS, Ventrilo, Teamspeak etc.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Im not personally trying to record anything, im trying to get my mic on my headset to work for games. Ingame for CSS, Ventrilo, Teamspeak etc.
Damn. Then I might be in over my head. But I guess I should ask to be sure: is the microphone plugged back into the Flexi-Jack just like it was from the beginning? I mean, I know it was switched around a little bit just for experimentation.

Oh, I know this would be impractical, but what happens if you try the headphone jack on the case?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will the front jacks connect to the sound card? Because i know the ones connected to the motherboard have no drivers(back panel).

Tested, no sound at all from front panel or main case jacks or mobo jacks.

·
Banned
414 Posts
In my opinion the problem lies with the Nvidia chipset/Creative incompatibility.

There is a driver up on the Creative site for that card that alleviates the problem somewhat. The details are in the driver's description.

Your motherboard is Nvidia based and therein lies the problem. The only other thing I know of, is that you have "microphone does not work" with memory above 4 gigs of ram problem.

Cheers,
jmacguire

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Will the front jacks connect to the sound card? Because i know the ones connected to the motherboard have no drivers(back panel).
The XtremeGamer does indeed have an HD Audio Front Panel Connector on it.

But are you saying that you're still using the onboard audio for that? I mean, when a sound card is installed, the onboard audio must be ditched completely. But if you have ditched it entirely, then nevermind.

·
Banned
4,703 Posts
I had this problem the other night. windows 7, Creative XtremeGamer.

I read that unplugging the AC97 or HD Audio from your case's front panel will resolve the problem. Now, I did this. And it worked. But I can't be sure it was that that worked or the fact that I ripped the mic to bits and resoldered the wires. However my problem was the same as yours. I got nothing but static and, hmm, louder static, the more I messed around.

Now, though, everything works fine.

EDIT:

If the HD Audio FP is plugged into your card. I'd try that and pop it into your onboard sound card seeing as you're planning to use that. However, I can say that I did not install any drivers from Creative, nor any that mentioned 4GB of RAM and Nvidia systems.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

theres my ventrilo settings incase you notice anything awry. But i dont think it matters unless i can get my mic working all over first.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i have never been plugged into my front case panel, always directly into my card in the back. So your saying i should unhook my audio cables from the mobo then?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Well i have never been plugged into my front case panel, always directly into my card in the back. So your saying i should unhook my audio cables from the mobo then?
I'm saying that when you're using a sound card, absolutely nothing should be plugged into the onboard audio ports either on the back of the motherboard or on any of the onboard headers on the motherboard. I mean, the onboard audio must be disabled completely and all drivers must be uninstalled.

I'm also saying that as a troubleshooting step, you should plug the Front Panel Audio connector for your case into the XtremeGamer (it has a header for this), and then plug the microphone into the microphone jack on the case just to see how that works. If there's no difference, then we'll have to keep troubleshooting.

But above all: nothing should be plugged into the motherboard's onboard audio jacks.

·
Banned
4,703 Posts
Quote:

Well, is the front panel HD Audio thingy plugged into the X-Fi? If so, it was suggested that would fix the problem.

Now, I did that, but I'm not sure that's what fixed it.

Post your Windows Volume Panel settings. Right clicketh the volume controls in the system tray and choose Recording. Show us the Properties for the Mic. I'll compare to mine and see if anything is different.

·
Banned
4,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
I'm saying that when you're using a sound card, absolutely nothing should be plugged into the onboard audio ports either on the back of the motherboard or on any of the onboard headers on the motherboard. I mean, the onboard audio must be disabled completely and all drivers must be uninstalled.

I'm also saying that as a troubleshooting step, you should plug the Front Panel Audio connector for your case into the XtremeGamer (it has a header for this), and then plug the microphone into the microphone jack on the case just to see how that works. If there's no difference, then we'll have to keep troubleshooting.

But above all: nothing should be plugged into the motherboard's onboard audio jacks.
Haha, that's the opposite of what I'm telling him
Worth a shot, though. Need to cover all ground possible.

Like I said, I did have it plugged in, I read that unplugging it,f or some weird reason, fixes the problem. And for me it did, but I haven't been bothered to unscrew my case and pop it back in to check fully.

Funny this topic came up, actually, because I was having this issue like 3 days ago.

EDIT:

Man, I love how my tech support diploma falls into my spare time quite nicely.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryten View Post
Haha, that's the opposite of what I'm telling him
Worth a shot, though. Need to cover all ground possible.

Like I said, I did have it plugged in, I read that unplugging it,f or some weird reason, fixes the problem. And for me it did, but I haven't been bothered to unscrew my case and pop it back in to check fully.

Funny this topic came up, actually, because I was having this issue like 3 days ago.

EDIT:

Man, I love how my tech support diploma falls into my spare time quite nicely.
I'm only recommending that because the microphone is currently plugged into the Flexi-Jack. The onboard is completely bypassed and disabled. The driver is uninstalled as well. So, I'm just thinking that trying a different approach may make a difference. But if it doesn't, then it's something else.

But at this time, I can tell that the onboard audio cable from the case isn't plugged into the XtremeGamer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts