Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
!
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed win7 to my first ssd last night and was going crazy disabling stuff, but now when I use the search function in the start menu, it doesn't work as it should.

If I put in user accounts, for example, it pops up. However, msconfig and regedit do not. I have to go to the windows folder and find them manually.

Funny thing is, this didn't start after the first reboot after changes. It started two or three reboots later.

I tried using services.msc to re-enable windows search, but it said the path was invalid. I went and found searchindexer(what the filepath was pointing to) and it was right where it is supposed to be.

Will a couple more reboots fix it?

Is there something else I need to re-enable?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
If the install was only yesterday then why not re-install Win 7? Could be the simplest method.

It doesn't require being an admin to bring up regedit, does it? The things people can use to cause system damage (incorrectly editing the reg) may be disabled... just a thought and would explain why some things such as 'user accounts' show but others don't.

This might help... check your actual search settings.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/fine-tune-the-windows-7-search-index-for-better-performance/4064?tag=nl.e064

·
!
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by makecoldplayhistory;13047427
If the install was only yesterday then why not re-install Win 7? Could be the simplest method.
I'll do so if I can't get it fixed quickly this afternoon. This build is for my dad, and I have a 2600K NIB, so I can't waste too much time on this can I?
Quote:
It doesn't require being an admin to bring up regedit, does it? The things people can use to cause system damage (incorrectly editing the reg) may be disabled... just a thought and would explain why some things such as 'user accounts' show but others don't.
regedit is not disabled, it isn't coming up in the search field. I can open it if I go to c:\windows.
Quote:
This might help... check your actual search settings.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/fine-tune-the-windows-7-search-index-for-better-performance/4064?tag=nl.e064
If I go and tinker with these options it may trigger whatever I've disabled. Good point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.