Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is guys !

meet Winamp version 5.9; it runs on Win 7, 8.1 10 & 11 :)

Time to whip the Lama's ass again xD

·
Official Luddite of OCN
6,083 Posts
But has it been surpassed?

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
I'll have a look as a token of respect deserving of an iconic bit of warez; but I've been full time Foobar for ages now and couldn't see myself changing...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Crashes on several songs for me, at random (using win11), so I might go back to the old winamp for now as it was stable the last several months.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
From what I understand, it's been updated to compile with Visual Studio 2019 (rather than 2008). The only reason I would want to use it (Milkdrop) bugs out in epic fashion, so I'll look at it again when it's had some more work done.

I moved to foobar2000 years ago, and that does everything I need. Can't honestly see me going back now.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'll have a look as a token of respect deserving of an iconic bit of warez; but I've been full time Foobar for ages now and couldn't see myself changing...
What is this Foobar you speak of? does it play Flac? the name alone is awesome close enough to FUBAR and from 90s movies, we know what that stands for heh.

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
What is this Foobar you speak of? does it play Flac? the name alone is awesome close enough to FUBAR and from 90s movies, we know what that stands for heh.
Foobar is a "freeware" music player/library organizer that appeals to me for the fact that one, it's highly functional/configurable and two, has a very wide range of custom "components" with which to extend it's basic functionality (DSP libraries, all sorts of stuff) ... and finally, it is very well maintained and has a dedicated, thriving user base made up of what seems to me anyway, mostly pretty smart people.

I was surprised you'd not heard of it. Here's some links to explore...

../Foobar General Info Page
../Foobar Download Page
../
Foobar Component Repository
../Foobar Interface Screenshots

It can seem awkward at first, perhaps even clunky, but once you acclimate to the various ways the interface can be presented, and once you explore its native "extensibility" with the large amount of component add-ons available in the component library, you might find you like it. Asio, Dolby Surround DSP's ... there's a gazillion components you can add to it and it is very easy to hook them in to the application proper; but the interface was my main hurdle but once I decided on something I could work with, I was hooked. The basic presentation is not fancy but you can add any sort of component based visualization routines, etc. that you like. Just have to explore.

But it's free and very well kept up and also allows me to get me proper audiophile on when I have gear suited to such so I've stuck with it.

Best of luck...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea I been a Winamp user since it came out in 1997, my skins work, as does MilkDrop2, just really nice to see my old faved music player is back once again.
Also as I am so used to it, I never really changed to anything else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts