Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm trying to overclock my cpu but it doesn't want to pass prime 95 at 250 mhz HTT. The memory is 1 to 1 at 2.5-3-3-10 which passes in memtest. I have tried different vcore but I'm not sure how much is still safe. I would really like to reach at least 2500 mhz. What kind of vcore would be safe if I want to keep the chip for a few years? Also is it better to run memory with a divider at say 209mhz with 2-2-2-5 timings or at 1 to 1 with the timings I listed earlier?

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by genjaguar

Well I'm trying to overclock my cpu but it doesn't want to pass prime 95 at 250 mhz HTT. The memory is 1 to 1 at 2.5-3-3-10 which passes in memtest. I have tried different vcore but I'm not sure how much is still safe. I would really like to reach at least 2500 mhz. What kind of vcore would be safe if I want to keep the chip for a few years? Also is it better to run memory with a divider at say 209mhz with 2-2-2-5 timings or at 1 to 1 with the timings I listed earlier?

I'd say keep your multiplier the same with the more slack memory timings. You can put as much vcore into your cpu as you can cool off. Try not to get over 60*c under full load, this is a good area to shoot for when adding vcore... What kind of cooling setup do you have? You should be able to hit 2500 air cooled with that specific cpu.

Let us know!

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
genjag, try dropping your HTT (LDT) multiplier as well...things get unstable when your HTT passes its rated speeds.

Also, is your seagate a SATA drive?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds similar. I found with my seti[ (ASUS A8V + Winchester 3000) that I couldnt get above 245Mhz until I used the mem lock to CPU ration and cut it down to 5:3, not sure your board has that option. Running 275x9 now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I tried with vcore 1.6 and it still seemed to fail prime95. I have a thermal take 7000+ case which has 2 side intakes right on the cpu and gpu and on the cpu I have a thermaltake A1772 HSF. My temp doesn't go near 60 even under load.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
honestly, yes, it will shorten the life...but only shorten it to "6" years instead of "8".

You most likely won't own the processor anymore when its time comes.

bring your HTT multi down to 3...see if that gets you passed 250.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Will it shorten the life of my processor to run voltages of 1.55 or 1.6?

yea but when u upgrade the processor will still be working perfectly

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I ran prime95 with my cpu at 250mhzx10, my ram at 125 mhz, and my htt multiplier at 3x. My vcore was at about 1.616 and yet prime95 still failed.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Xavier asked before if you were running a SATA hard drive, are you? This was the one factor that let me take my 3000+ over 2.5ghz. You need to make sure that your SATA drive(s) are plugged into your locked SATA ports (usually the ones controlled by nVidia) or else you just won't be able to get a good overclock. You do have a good start though, better than what mine was so that may not be the issue.

I'd say keep messing with your memory timings a bit, try 3-4-4-8 or something along those lines. Also make sure that you have your vdimm set at 2.8 or above depending on how far your board will let you take it.

If nothing works, it's time to start looking at the other pieces of your computer to see what could be making it fail. What kind of PSU are you running? #1 problem for bad / unstable overclocks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No I do not have a SATA hard drive.(those are the ones with the different power connectors right?) Also how could I tell how good my PSU is? It's not a brand name one(X-Power 550W).

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

No I do not have a SATA hard drive.(those are the ones with the different power connectors right?) Also how could I tell how good my PSU is? It's not a brand name one(X-Power 550W).

Ok, we just had to rule out that you werent utilizing your unlocked SATA ports, and yes those are the drives that require different power dongles and cables that rememble usb cables a bit.

Not familiar with that PSU, but I imagine it's probably good enough to get the job done... Do you have the volt rail specs on it?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you mean by those? What it says on the side? I'm also using Corecenter which came with the msi board and that gives me 3.3v,5v, and 12v ratings. Is that what you mean?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another wierd thing happened today. I have my memory at 2.5-3-3-6 at 266mhz on 2.65v. I set my CPU to 8.5x at 1.45v. It passes memtest. If I set the multiplier to 8 or 9 it fails. It only passes at 8.5. It doesn't pass super pi however(8M) at this setting which is only 2270mhz. I'll let prime95 run for a few hours and see how it goes.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Another wierd thing happened today. I have my memory at 2.5-3-3-6 at 266mhz on 2.65v. I set my CPU to 8.5x at 1.45v. It passes memtest. If I set the multiplier to 8 or 9 it fails. It only passes at 8.5. It doesn't pass super pi however(8M) at this setting which is only 2270mhz. I'll let prime95 run for a few hours and see how it goes.

Try slacking your mem timings a bit more... Start super loose then tighten them as far as they will go... Try 3-4-4-8 at 9x.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But if they pass memtest shouldn't they be good no matter what the cpu multiplier is?

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

But if they pass memtest shouldn't they be good no matter what the cpu multiplier is?

They "should" yes, but it never hurts to try.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts