Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro x64 to Win 10 Pro x64 and I am experiencing a weird problem.

My HDD setup is as follows:

Samsung EVO 250GB M2 SSD - OS and apps
Crucial MX100 512GB SATA SSD - Games
Seagate ST2000 2TB SATA HDD - Media

After configuring Windows 10 to sleep the media HDD (the seagate) after 5 mins of inactivity I noticed that it never actually does it, the HDD never goes to sleep, spins down.
That HDD only has media on it and no apps so there should be nothing accessing it.

How can I found out what is preventing the HDD from going to sleep?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same problem as well, my storage drive is driving me nuts, it kept on spinning even if I set my HDD to sleep after 1 minute, and I checked resource monitor and it is not even reading or writing anything on that drive.

Using Seagate Seagate ST2000DM001 as well, could this be a seagate thing? I actually have data spanned across 2 drives, 1 of the drive is constantly spinning, I believe majority of the data is not even on the seagate drive as well.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try this app http://hddscan.com/
You can spindown on the fly and you can also set a timer for the spindown which actually takes place (not sure if you need the app open in the background)
Can't believe Win 10 can't even do such a basic function.
Close to putting back the Win 8.1 image.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a quick update, went and bought a WD green instead, since its a storage drive the spinning speed doesn't matter too much, I prefer the lower rpm and power saving features as well. So far it seems to have fixed the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts