Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just need a windows 10 home key. Newegg has windows 10 download code what is that and does it have a key?

·
Overclocker in training
13,953 Posts
Hi,
Not sure about Newegg but I bought a 10 pro retail from Amazon not from a third party vender and the activation key is in my Amazon account
They offer a download but I used media creation tool instead
I would compare and see if you're getting a retail or oem there is a difference :)
But yes it's not uncommon to email or post a key to an account on the sellers website just make sure it is issued by Newegg or Amazon and not a third party :)
Or just buy it from MS at their store and you shouldn't have issues ever activating
I believe MS charges a little more though but just a little 10-20.us.
But MS does not issue activation keys it's tied to your MS email account.

Link to the actual item you're inquiring about :)

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the information.:) I used media creation tool also for clean installs. I want to be able to transfer the key to a new PC in the future and I don't want to use MS email account every time I activate if that is how it works? I set my OS up as a local client not MS email account if that makes sence? This is what I'm looking at https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832588506

I was also wondering when you have a key do you have to use it every time for a clean install on the same system for activation? I changed my motherboard and processor and before that my PC use to automatically activate when I did a clean install of windows 10 home.

·
High Clocker
3,414 Posts
Whats the reason for needing one. If you have a live windows 10 computer you can basically unlimited transfere it to a new computer by just logging into your windows account on that new computer and clicking activate, (Deactivates the old computer)

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whats the reason for needing one. If you have a live windows 10 computer you can basically unlimited transfere it to a new computer by just logging into your windows account on that new computer and clicking activate, (Deactivates the old computer)
I had the free windows 10 and I changed my motherboard, now it's asking me for activation and my windows 7 key will not activate.

·
High Clocker
3,414 Posts
I had the free windows 10 and I changed my motherboard, now it's asking me for activation and my windows 7 key will not activate.
You shouldnt need to put any key in, Just login to your microsoft account that the key is asigned to. Iv been though 3 motherboards with this same free upgrade key.
From 990fx to X99.
Then last week from X99 to X299.

Each time I did fresh install of windows. When asked for key at install entered no key.
Then when in windows open start bar and type activation and go to that.

Click activate, It asks me to enter a key or there is a link below that that says something like "Iv changed my motherboard or other major hardware"
Click that and enter your microsoftware account details to log in.
Takes you to a window that says what computers are activated under that account and key. Tick your new computer on the list and it unticks your old one. Then click ok and its activated.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You shouldnt need to put any key in, Just login to your microsoft account that the key is asigned to. Iv been though 3 motherboards with this same free upgrade key.
From 990fx to X99.
Then last week from X99 to X299.

Each time I did fresh install of windows. When asked for key at install entered no key.
Then when in windows open start bar and type activation and go to that.

Click activate, It asks me to enter a key or there is a link below that that says something like "Iv changed my motherboard or other major hardware"
Click that and enter your microsoftware account details to log in.
Takes you to a window that says what computers are activated under that account and key. Tick your new computer on the list and it unticks your old one. Then click ok and its activated.
I tried that and it said there is no computer associated with your account. I had the windows 7 OEM if that makes a difference. I wonder what I did wrong?

·
Registered
201 Posts
just make sure it is issued by Newegg or Amazon and not a third party :)
Can't stress this enough. Even if the 3rd party vendor has good rep on the platform (amazon/newegg) stay away from them @ all costs. Years ago i purchased windows 7 ultimate full retail from a 5 star vendor on amazon only to have my key flagged as fake/stolen three years down the road.

·
Amiga 500
3,662 Posts
I have bought and activated Win 10 in 4 machines so far with no problems from Kinguin ..

Take a look if you're still interested ;
Key

·
Graphics Junkie
2,512 Posts
Just go to the allkeyshop website. You can get a windows 10 key for cheap from there. I've used it many times when updating a customers computer with an unreadable windows 7 key. They're like $15. Never had any issues at all.

·
Overclocker in training
13,953 Posts
Thanks for all the information.:) I used media creation tool also for clean installs. I want to be able to transfer the key to a new PC in the future and I don't want to use MS email account every time I activate if that is how it works? I set my OS up as a local client not MS email account if that makes sence? This is what I'm looking at https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832588506

I was also wondering when you have a key do you have to use it every time for a clean install on the same system for activation? I changed my motherboard and processor and before that my PC use to automatically activate when I did a clean install of windows 10 home.
Hi,
Looks good as long as you live in North America although I'd get the 10 pro for a few more options along with group policy goodies :)
You should only have to use the key once and yes they email you the activation key.

MS goes off hardware and ip address associating the install with a MS account is just an extra perk really
But you can do that well after setting up a local account and switch back to the local account after doing so.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for all the help.:)

·
Graphics Junkie
2,512 Posts
Fyi, win 10 keys have nothing to do with your Ms user account. Once activated, ms keeps a record of the hardware you activated it with. So long as the hardware is the same you can reactivate it without the key in the future.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fyi, win 10 keys have nothing to do with your Ms user account. Once activated, ms keeps a record of the hardware you activated it with. So long as the hardware is the same you can reactivate it without the key in the future.
That is what I was wondering. It is nice that I don't have to use the key when doing a clean install with the same hardware after the first time.:specool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts