Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a ssd and was wondering coming from w7 if I will run into issues with windows 10 on my current rig because of how out dated my hardware is. Anyone with a similar build particularly motherboard(p8p67) and cpu(sandybridge) currently running windows 10 without issues?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
No problems at all. My2500k is fine with windows 10. It's the new CPU's that don't like old OS's. Not the other way around.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Windows 10 runs faster than Win 7 by far. You will be able to tell the difference. Taskbar pops up lightning fast, Windows and apps open fluidly and instantly.

I have a 2700k I recently upgraded from a 2500k which lagged in newer multihreaded games on 60 player maps. Now games run perfect and I got a nice jump in fps. Especially with the faster 2133mhz ram I installed over the 1600mhz it had previously.

I also installed glass8 it's a aero glass theme and looks beautiful on Windows 10

·
Iconoclast
30,433 Posts
Windows 10 will run on hardware far older than Sandy Bridge.

Windows 10 runs faster than Win 7 by far. You will be able to tell the difference.
Not unless something is wrong with your Windows 7 install.

Taskbar pops up lightning fast, Windows and apps open fluidly and instantly.
Same can be said about essentially any properly configured version of Windows or most other OSes on any system equipped with an SSD.

·
Registered
270 Posts

Same can be said about essentially any properly configured version of Windows or most other OSes on any system equipped with an SSD

Win 7 feels laggy and hitches when you open minimized windows compared to the latest Window 10 builds. Windows 7 UI feels awful and outdated unless you completely disable Aero Glass.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

Same can be said about essentially any properly configured version of Windows or most other OSes on any system equipped with an SSD

Win 7 feels laggy and hitches when you open minimized windows compared to the latest Window 10 builds. Windows 7 UI feels awful and outdated unless you completely disable Aero Glass.
Lol

I'm sorry but all I can do is laugh at this. Win 7 has been lightning fast for almost a decade on even old hardware. What you describe is either extremely low end hardware and/or a severely hampered OS.

I made this video 7 years ago to demonstrate how fast an SSD was to my friends who hadn't yet upgraded. This on a measly 720 BE @ 3.2Ghz, 4GB RAM and an original OCZ Vertex and from BIOS boot, running a batch file, and shutdown it's a total of 48 seconds.

So again, how is Win 7 slow?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Windows 10 will run on hardware far older than Sandy Bridge.

Same can be said about essentially any properly configured version of Windows or most other OSes on any system equipped with an SSD.
Lol

I'm sorry but all I can do is laugh at this. Win 7 has been lightning fast for almost a decade on even old hardware. What you describe is either extremely low end hardware and/or a severely hampered OS.

I made this video 7 years ago to demonstrate how fast an SSD was to my friends who hadn't yet upgraded. This on a measly 720 BE @ 3.2Ghz, 4GB RAM and an original OCZ Vertex and from BIOS boot, running a batch file, and shutdown it's a total of 48 seconds.

https://youtu.be/7bndK-cbokU

So again, how is Win 7 slow?

The way the windows and programs respond look/feel laggy outdated and jitter on Windows 7. It's really that simple. Windows 10 handles resources much better and is designed to respond/look much faster and handle things more efficiently.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I use Windows 10 enterprise and have data collection disabled. I do remember initial Windows 10 Pro releases feeling jumpy and jittery probably from the constant keylogging data collecting it's doing. So I can see why most of you can't probably tell the difference. Lol

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Hi,
No reason to choose one or the other both can be used
10 is hit and miss frankly auto updates are unpredictable system to system
Auto driver installs as well can be a real pain to deal with in 10.

So yeah if you plan on using your 7 activation key for 10 at least make a clone or system image of 7 before doing so
It will make it a lot easier to go back to 7 :)

For the record 7 is only as slow as the number of performance killing updates one has installed.
Otherwise either on an ssd is no faster than the other
10 uses fake shut down and other extreme hibernation tricks to seem faster at startup since 10 really never shuts down it only hibernates
1709 even add more of this by bookmarking open apps "that are compatible with it" as another way to wake up faster.

Fake shutdown also makes it more difficult to recover to a system image or even access the bios so first thing I or most people do is disable fast start features which most older chips are not compatible with anyway.
By disabling fast start in bios plus disabling hibernation in the os with cmd as administrator.
Code:
powercfg -h off
And Yes use Shutup10 :p

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
Got a ssd and was wondering coming from w7 if I will run into issues with windows 10 on my current rig because of how out dated my hardware is. Anyone with a similar build particularly motherboard(p8p67) and cpu(sandybridge) currently running windows 10 without issues?
I've been running W10 without issue on an even older system (an old Westmere Xeon E5620 on an equally ancient Supermicro C7X58). With 16GB of 1333 RAM and a basic Crucial 500GB SSD it cruises along nicely. There are compelling reasons to stick with W7, but in terms of whether or not older hardware can perform under W10, Sandy Bridge is plenty modern.

·
Iconoclast
30,433 Posts
The way the windows and programs respond look/feel laggy outdated and jitter on Windows 7. It's really that simple.
This is complete nonsense.

I use Windows 10 enterprise and have data collection disabled. I do remember initial Windows 10 Pro releases feeling jumpy and jittery probably from the constant keylogging data collecting it's doing. So I can see why most of you can't probably tell the difference. Lol
I can't tell the difference between a lean Server 2016 install that has no telemetry and no automatic updating and Windows 7 in responsiveness, because there is no difference in responsiveness.

If any properly configured and patched variant of Windows NT is less than perceptibly instantaneously responsive or less than perfectly smooth, on remotely modern hardware, you screwed something up.

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Hi,
Here's another trick 10 uses to appear a little faster at startup compared to 7
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/69693-enable-disable-startup-delay-windows-10-a.html

Yeah some people here seem they had some really bad 7 installs lol :D
No doubt MS started killing 7 performance shortly after 10 testing started it was well past time to review each and every updates well before thinking of installing them and always create a system image before updates ;)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm more worried about compatibility with my motherboard and sound/network drivers. I googled and saw a few people who had unresolved issues

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,702 Posts
I've seen people run Windows 10 on a Pentium III. I'm running Windows 10 on a 2500k no problems. You will be fine.

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
I'm more worried about compatibility with my motherboard and sound/network drivers. I googled and saw a few people who had unresolved issues
So what you should do is going to your motherboard manufacturers website and see if they have any Windows 10 drivers.
Also, Windows 10 drive store has far more drivers in the base image than Windows 7 did. I've installed Windows 10 on a P4 and all hardware has worked the same as when it was on XP. Whenever you decide to feel adventurous (and complete your own research to see if your system is compatible with Win10), do the following:

Make a FULL SYSTEM BACKUP ONTO REMOVABLE MEDIA.
Copy your important files onto another form of media (Not the OS, your games, your "collection", just your important files).
Wipe and Load Windows 10
Once the install has completed, verify that all hardware is working as it should (I can say that I'm 99.999% sure you'll have no issues).
Update drivers as needed.
Reinstall needed software and files.

If Windows 10 blows up, simply restore from your back up. Simple, easy, peasy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts