Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been having issues with windows 10. I turn it the screen posts goes to the window logo and the spinning dots. Then the screen turns off and so does everything thats plugged into the usb.

However when I start it in safe mode it works or through the igpu. Also I reverted back to windows 7 and it works normally again but every time I try to reupgrade to windows 10 the issues persist.

What ive tried that hasn't worked is:

Ran with one card, Ran with one ram stick, tried different monitors and different cords, tried with three different nvidia cards, tried different psus and I tried to different SSDs

Cant for life of me figure out whats wrong but I figured it has to do with nvidia somehow.

Specs for rig atm ~

i7 3770k stock
sabertooth z77
gskill ram forget what speed exactly
tried two 980tis and a 640
Evga 1600 G2
Samsung 2 tb 850

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Windows 10 is just about as bad at upgrading from an already well established OS as it's predecessors were. Your best bet is to re-install Win 7, don't install any drivers or updates. Just immediately google "upgrade to Windows 10" and start the process with a freshly installed OS.

The other option, but I don't recommend it, is to remove drivers from your Win 7 install before upgrading, then re-add them if Win 10 doesn't do it for you.

Recently both my father and myself attempted Win 10 upgrades from Win 7 OS's we had been using for more than a year. Neither went well. There were a lot of little problems afterwards that prompted us both to immediately revert. Some of the problems followed backwards to my old Win7 install, so when I got the time I just blew it out and started over from scratch. We both did. Now we both have perfectly running Win 10 OS's.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright ill give that a shot. Its just the weirdest problem since it works perfect;y fine when i use the iGpu

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay so...... I tried that .....kinda worked.

I installed windows 7 again. Then I upgraded to windows 10 using a upgrade disk so I didn't have be connected to the net. Upgraded to windows 10 just fine. Finally I installed nvidia drivers off a usb drive with no issues at all.

.....................Then i connected to the internet and reset the computer and I got the same problem as before........Any other ideas. Im completely lost with whats causing this lol

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welp fixed it for the time being.

Windows 10 for some reason was switching between my igpu and main gpus whenever I turned on the computer. So I just disabled the igpu in the device manager. I also disabled and hid the new update for windows 10 was causing me issue.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Go into BIOS and set your video priority to your PCIE slot instead of your iGPU, if that's an opotion. That should prevent windows from even registering it in device manager.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea i tried that too would still never boot. Problem was some windows update on 14/04 had to boot into safe mode and uninstall it and hide it. After that booted just fine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts