Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I will try to give you as much information as I can about my problem.

1st Computer (Master)

Specs Below

2nd Computer (Secondary)

Intel Celeron 766Mhz
396 Mb RAM
20 GB HDD

Ok, I am trying to establish a network and to network my ADSL 1.5

On my first computer, the settings are automatic, last time I tried to change them, i lost connection to the my ADSL

Both computers are set on automatic and can see themselves, but will not see each other or ping each other for that matter

I have both computers hooked into a DLink DES-1005D Switch and the Telstra SpeedTouch Modem is also into the switch

I hope this is all the information you require

·
Registered
859 Posts
what do you mean by see themselves? check to see if gateways match and subnet are the same....try to connect with IP address rather then Computer name...they should at least be able to ping each other if they are on the same network..

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Unless you have the firewall on one or both of the computers to see your network as not trusted. Make sure the local network is a trusted network.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what i mean is they can both see "themselves" is that when i access the network, the workgroup shows up and the computer is in there, but it cannot see the other one

i dont know if the ADSL Modem functions as a NAT. I have also temporarily disabled my network to see if that helps,

I had a laptop running 98 a while ago and that networked perfectly, but i am doing the same thing i am now and no go

AS long as the subnets are the same, it shouldnt matter about the IP address should it, because it looks like Telstra has assigned me an IP address, problem is that if i change it, my internet disappears

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
um if my laptop running 98 worked fine, would the settings on the laptop work if i set the 2000 comp up like that

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
If your modem doesn't offer any NAT functionality, and you're only paying for one IP with your ISP, you cannot simply plug the machines into the switch and expect them to work. In any case, read the advice posted by The_Llama--it is certainly relevant to what you're trying to do.

Out of curiosity, exactly how did manage to make your Windows 98 machine connect to the Internet with this setup?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my mistake, i ahd a look at the laptop and it is running windows 2000

get this

i plug the network cable into my laptop and it automatically comes up with the internet and full networking.

so i check the ip and subnet and on the laptop it is set to automatic, if i set it to automatic on the 2nd Machine, it wont come up with that IP address.

so i change it to what the laptop says and still nothing

just for kicks, im going to add both machines IP addresses when set to automatic having a * for the last lot of digits for security purposes

1st Machine

IP 10.0.0.*
Subnet 255.255.255.*
Default Gateway 10.0.0.*

2nd machine

IP 169.254.38.*
Subnet 255.255.0.*
Default Gateway __________

Remind you, these figures are set up as automatic, i set the subnet the same on the other machine and doesnt make a scrap of difference

·
Registered
554 Posts
The ISP is recognising the MAC address of the laptop and is assigning an IP to that MAC address only. You should be able to hook up another machine by unplugging the router for like 5 minutes, and then hooking it all up again with the computer that you want to be the "main" one. If that doesn't work, try unplugging for more time. Then, to share the connection behind the switch, follow the link I posted before.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i tried what you said and it assigned an automatic IP again as follows with a star

169.254.72.*
255.255.0.*

still no networking!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirate

i tried what you said and it assigned an automatic IP again as follows with a star

169.254.72.*
255.255.0.*

still no networking!

169.254.x.x is the address assigned internally by the computer itself.
You may need to contact your ISP and tell them you have a computer that you wish to connect to the internet with and ask them the process to assign the MAC of that computer to the account.
You may want to just unplug the modem for like a half hour just in case it has a long reset time, otherwise I'd call the ISP.

You also may just want to go buy a router. If these stages of the netoworking process are giving you trouble, setting up ICS with a switch is going to be a nightmare for you. Whereas if you just pick up a router, you can clone the mac of the laptop and network all of the other computers a lot more easily.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, i will try to unplug the modem for half an hour and see if that works, then i will cntact telstra.

only prob is how come my windows 2000 laptop had no probs at all

______________________________________________4 HOURS LATER

I contacted Telstra and they reckon its a network issue (DUH!!!!) and says that they do not help with this sort of tech issue so im up choclate creek without a popsicle stick there.

Anyone else with any information

·
Registered
859 Posts
i didnt notice you had a switch in you first post....you need a router between your isp and your switch, like others said you simply cant plug in from you modem to your switch unless the modem is a NAT...just go buy a linksys or netgear router and everything will be fine.good luck

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well if i need a router, how come i can get internet on my laptop by plugging it into the switch

·
Registered
859 Posts
well what is the ip you are assigned...if its an ip directly from your isp then you only have 1 available IP address and that is all that works and the reason you cant have both on at the same time.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirate

well if i need a router, how come i can get internet on my laptop by plugging it into the switch

You don't need a router to get on the internet... you need a router to get more than one computer on the internet. And actually, if you checked the thread I linked to earlier, you'd see that you don't need a router. Just that a router is going to make life a lot easier, especially if something at this level is giving you trouble. Either way, though, you still need to get your primary computer set up on the net. Get that step done and then you can go from there.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my computer is fully connected and fully functional on the Internet using a Thomson SpeedTouch 530 Modem, as I said before, the switch I was using which was the D-Link DES-1005D was conencted up to my Windows 2000 Laptop and it worked perfectly, its only been with the 2nd comp that ive had trouble. I dont have a router

·
Registered
213 Posts
It seems no-one can really help you without actually being there so why not just buy a router test it out, if it dosent work/make it easier then just return it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
i think your ISP allows you to have two MAC addresses that are currently assigned to you main rig and you laptop. so to get the 2nd rig to work you'll have to register the other computers mac address with your ISP. You'll have to go to the ISP's website and look in the help section for something that says manual Mac registation Or something like that. i would say just get a routor it would make everything a lot easyer

I'm looking right now at the ISP's website right now to see if i can find a soultion

Didn't find anything, you best bet would be to get a routor

1 - 20 of 27 Posts