·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
It's just like 2000 isnt it?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its more or less 2000 with the compatitablity of XP and such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_2003

Quote:
Released on April 24, 2003, Windows Server 2003 (which carries the version number 5.2) is the follow-up to Windows 2000 Server, incorporating compatibility and other features from Windows XP. Unlike Windows 2000 Server, Windows Server 2003's default installation has none of the server components enabled, to reduce the attack surface of new machines. Windows Server 2003 includes compatibility modes to allow older applications to run with greater stability. It was made more compatible with Windows NT 4.0 domain-based networking. Incorporating and upgrading a Windows NT 4.0 domain to Windows 2000 was considered difficult and time consuming, and generally was considered an all or nothing upgrade particularly when dealing with Active Directory. Windows Server 2003 brought in enhanced Active Directory compatibility, and better deployment support, to ease the transition from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP Professional.

·

29,532 Posts
HAHA. That text made me laugh a good time.
I thought this was spam when I pointed at the link, but I saw that it was from ZE pook itself

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chosen
Ohhh Yeashah I havent had a crash or anyother questionable winxp faults yet
And it like 30% faster :O Only drawback is it isnt compatible with most "older" games.
Older games and Quake 4.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The games i've found that dont work ARE

Diablo 2 (EXP)
The bf2142 demo

And a few others. I think if they are pre year 2000 they most likely will have problems running. Along with some contemporary games as well.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BF2142 works fine for me. :***:

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chosen
mebe the torrent I downloaded was botched... Ill post the error i get in a sec

If your getting that d3dx9_29.dll error, I can upload the fix for you.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by PROBN4LYFE
I got some goodies saved somewhere...let me did up something
You killed the point of having 2003

@ Chosen
Here you go.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Me + BF2142 =
.... or something.

But yeah. BF2142 is buggy as %*$( though. Its actually less buggy in 2003 AFAIK, since I didn't have any problems within the hour I played. It crashed every 30 minutes or so in XP with "EA Master Server Time Out", try to log back in, and it locks up.

·
Premium Member
10,417 Posts
And it was still fast as "poo"...soon as I found out how to theme it without a theme program....

Wonder how FEAR would run on that...hmmmm?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by PROBN4LYFE
And it was still fast as "poo"...soon as I found out how to theme it without a theme program....

Wonder how FEAR would run on that...hmmmm?

Haven't tried it.

·
Premium Member
10,417 Posts
Dunno after a while I keep gettin an error at startup...something about a service not being able to start....it was getting annoying.
And my router wasn't compatible with it...but now that I've been studying the Infrastructure I might be able to get it to work.
Oh yeah...holla at ya boi!!!!
THE goods!!!

·
Banned
658 Posts
The biggest thing about 2003 vs 2000 or XP is the way the OS manages the memory and pagefile. I know that when I do a bare install of xp it chews up about 150mb of ram or more. In server 2003 with everything I have installed on it, running an antivirus, active directory and remote administrator it barely uses 100Meg. But change the priorities and see that skyrocket.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts