Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just built a new computer and am enjoying it, but just noticed that Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit isn't showing the correct RAM. What I see in the " View Baisc Information about your Computer" is:

Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB (2.49 GB usable)

I just installed 3 sticks of 2 GB Corsair DDR3 Triple Channel memory so I should have 6 GB available. How can i correct this? So far I dont see any options in the BIOS but i could be missing something.

Here are some specs that might help.

Motherboard: Evga X58 3X SLI
CPU: i7 950
GPU: Evga GTX 460
Sound: On board

Should I be running the 64 bit version of windows? I know some programs have issues with it so figured I'd run 32. I doubt its an issue with 32bit windows but the thought occurred.

Thanks for you help and I hope to correct this ASAP

·
Registered
819 Posts
You need to run 64 bit, on 32bit with your GFX set up, the 2.5GB usable ram is about right. 32bit only recognizes 4GB total including GFX memory and others as well. Switching to 64bit will fix it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dennisjai
View Post

You need to run 64 bit, on 32bit with your GFX set up, the 2.5GB usable ram is about right. 32bit only recognizes 4GB total including GFX memory and others as well. Switching to 64bit will fix it.

I didn't know that that included graphics memory. + Rep for teaching me something new

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I've only heard of a handful of people (outside of business applications) that have had problems with using 64 bit, usually because they are using very old 16 bit programs that won't run on x64 (civilization 2 for example) but nothing modern should have a problem.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dennisjai
View Post

To be clear.... It is NOT your GPU's memory.

It is the GPU's I/O addresses. More GPU memory requires more address but it is not the same thing.

Read: http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussi...1/3092070.aspx

·
Registered
255 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by weidass
View Post

I've only heard of a handful of people (outside of business applications) that have had problems with using 64 bit, usually because they are using very old 16 bit programs that won't run on x64 (civilization 2 for example) but nothing modern should have a problem.

They had to drop 16 bit support eventually, its the only way to move forward. you cannot leave too many software ghosts hanging around just so the minority can run some legacy code they are too cheap to reprogram.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. So its just that i need to update to windows 64 bit? Then why on my other PC did i have 4GB of RAM and its showed 4GB of RAM using the SAME OS? I dont get that. I will install 64 bit if i need to but would like to know that I'm not wasting my time and will run into the same problem 1 hour from now.

Even though I'm using a video card, do i maybe need to double check that the on CPU video is disabled? could this be the problem?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I just installed 64 bit and now i see:

6.00 GB (3.99 GB useable)

someone mentioned my GTX as a part of the original problem. It has 768mb of ram. Why would it need to use on board ram?

So how do i get full useage of my ram. I've never seen this problem in my years of building and must say its frustrating.

Do I need to adjust ram settings? or is there a triple channel enable button i need to hit. And not an add on fan is hitting something. Great.

·
#SavedTheCrew
2,644 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GPiddy
View Post

someone mentioned my GTX as a part of the original problem. It has 768mb of ram. Why would it need to use on board ram?

Your card isn't using onboard RAM, you're thinking about it in the wrong way.

Windows still needs to account for the RAM somehow right? So let's say you have 4GB ram and then an additional 768 on your video card... on windows 32-bit.

Well windows sees all the RAM and decides ok, I can only use 3.2. So let's count up to that. There's 768 from your video card so that only leaves approx 2.5 left of your system RAM that windows can recognize. Does that make more sense? It's not that your video card is using your RAM, it's that windows can only allow so much ram to exist in 32-bit because it can only allocate the use of up to 3.2g.

Upgrading to 64-bit should alleviate that problem because it allows windows to account for much more RAM (I know it's an insanely high number, but I don't know specifically).

Hopefully that makes sense. As for your new problem with 64-bit windows, I'm not sure what to make of that!

·
Premium Member
10,490 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GPiddy
View Post

So how do i get full useage of my ram. I've never seen this problem in my years of building and must say its frustrating.

Do I need to adjust ram settings? or is there a triple channel enable button i need to hit. And not an add on fan is hitting something. Great.

Make certain that all RAM is accounted for on startup. Hit tab when your display first pops up (usually) to display the detailed post information.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,793 Posts
OP, you did not enter your system specs, but if Win 7 64bit is only showing 4 gigs useable out of 6, then reportedly the 58x mobo chipsets for the i7 had problems with that issue. My cousin even switched Memory and Mobo (from Gigabyte to Asus) and he still had that problem. His way around it is to boot his computer a few times and then all 6 gigs get picked-up.

Some other solutions that worked was perhaps loosening the heatsink on your CPU (too tight) or checking for damaged pins on CPU and list goes on.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavi View Post
Your card isn't using onboard RAM, you're thinking about it in the wrong way.

Windows still needs to account for the RAM somehow right? So let's say you have 4GB ram and then an additional 768 on your video card... on windows 32-bit.

Well windows sees all the RAM and decides ok, I can only use 3.2. So let's count up to that. There's 768 from your video card so that only leaves approx 2.5 left of your system RAM that windows can recognize. Does that make more sense? It's not that your video card is using your RAM, it's that windows can only allow so much ram to exist in 32-bit because it can only allocate the use of up to 3.2g.

Upgrading to 64-bit should alleviate that problem because it allows windows to account for much more RAM (I know it's an insanely high number, but I don't know specifically).

Hopefully that makes sense. As for your new problem with 64-bit windows, I'm not sure what to make of that!
Not quite....

A 32-bit OS has 2^32 (4,294,967,296 or 4GB) worth of possible addressed. The OS needs to reserve some of those address for legacy support with hardcoded addresses plus it needs addresses for device communication. This is where your GPU comes in. The GPU needs addresses to communicate with the OS. The number of addresses is NOT the size of the RAM.

Basically, after the legacy and device I/O... whatever addresses are left are avaliable for RAM assignment. With a barebones system, this is usually in the 3.2-3.4GB range. With higher-end systems with more devices that need more addresses, this could be in the 2-3GB range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPiddy View Post

Did you set your RAM voltage/frequency/timings correctly?
If so, try reseating the DIMMs after cleaning the connections.

·
#SavedTheCrew
2,644 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Not quite....

A 32-bit OS has 2^32 (4,294,967,296 or 4GB) worth of possible addressed. The OS needs to reserve some of those address for legacy support with hardcoded addresses plus it needs addresses for device communication. This is where your GPU comes in. The GPU needs addresses to communicate with the OS. The number of addresses is NOT the size of the RAM.

Basically, after the legacy and device I/O... whatever addresses are left are avaliable for RAM assignment. With a barebones system, this is usually in the 3.2-3.4GB range. With higher-end systems with more devices that need more addresses, this could be in the 2-3GB range
haha, right! I was just trying to give him a laymen's terms version of that. I know that addresses do not equal RAM, and was just trying to give him the non-technical explanation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Did you set your RAM voltage/frequency/timings correctly?
If so, try reseating the DIMMs after cleaning the connections.
I think i did. I'll re-check though. I did crank my heatsink down, a cogage true spirit so i hope that's not the problem. Would loosening it do the trick?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavi View Post
haha, right! I was just trying to give him a laymen's terms version of that. I know that addresses do not equal RAM, and was just trying to give him the non-technical explanation.

N/P... I'm just scared that the non-technical answer will spread....

Then he'll asked 4GB - 768GB <> 2.46GB!!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

N/P... I'm just scared that the non-technical answer will spread....

Then he'll asked 4GB - 768GB <> 2.46GB!!?!?!?!?
Well, i WANT to understand this and learn. I'm trying out a few ideas and will report back and try to digest more of what you said. Thanks and wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, I changed a few things in BIOS and now I'm showing a solid 6.00 GB !!!!!! I had the timings right but had to change 1T to 2T
Channel interleaving was set to 6. I assume since i have 6 available RAM slots. But since I am only using 3 slots and they are triple channel enabled I changed that setting to 3. Also, the BIOS had my DIMM voltage at 1.75 but corsair recommends 1.65 so i changed that. And now looks like that problem is solved!!! Very happy. Now to find more trouble to get into. I'm sure it will find me first. Thanks for all the help and resources. I will check everything out and hopefully gain some good knowledge. Feel free to chime in if it seems like i missed anything or set my RAM wrong. BTW when they say DIMM they are still referring to my DDR3 ram right? I thought DIMM was more used for older versions of ram so that confused me a bit.

·
#SavedTheCrew
2,644 Posts
DIMM = Dual In-Line Memory Module

Any stick of RAM is a DIMM, it just depends on what kind of DIMM. In this case, generally, when you say "hey I've got a stick of ram here" you could replace the word stick with DIMM. All kinds of different DIMMs, based on how many pins they have. Usually DDR3 modules are on 240 pin DIMMs, or sticks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts