Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm going to buy windows 7 tommorow and I would like to know if it's better to install a 64-bit version of windows 7 for games or a 32-bit version.

I usually play games such as call of duty 2 , pro evolution soccer , dragon age 2 , and i would also like to play battlefield 3 in the future.

I heard that 64 bit is only better when you have more then 4gb ram , and since i only have installed 2,5GB ram i should stick with 32-bit ?

What are the pros en cons for me ?
-I only have 2,5GB ram
-Will i really notice any difference when playing games ( will i get higher fps/framerate on 64 bit )

Thanks !

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Wouldn't matter. You can still use your key for a x64 copy in the future.

·
Registered
375 Posts
you'd notice a difference if you upgraded to 4gigs of ram and in that case went with 64bit support. 2.5gb is not a lot these days.

·
Registered
746 Posts
the ram your can use start to shrink fast depending on ram you have on your gpu. I haven't really have much issue using a x64 with drivers or anything else that I can't find a reason to recommend the x32 over x64. Unless you have specific hardware not proven compatible, why not get a 64 bit version? All games work fine on 64 as well in my experience.

·
Premium Member
8,612 Posts
go with 64bit......if you decide that you want to add more ram, or a video card with 2GB of memory, you'll just install it, instead of reinstalling an entire operating system.......plus 64bit is "less" prone to viruses

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I wouldn't be going with 32-bit these days. You might be a bit short on RAM for it, but anything with at least 3GB RAM (which you're close to) should get 64-bit without a second thought.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For gaming; it is pretty much irrelevant.

That said, go with 64 bit unless you have some weird hardware that doesn't have a 64bit driver available there is no reason to go 32.

32bit limits the amount of RAM you can run (under 4 gigs).
64 bit doesnt (well it does.. but we're talking terrabytes of ram)

64 bit can run all 32 bit apps.
32 bit can NOT run any 64 bit apps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok , thanks for the answers , i'll go for 64 bit , and will upgrade my ram..

It's strange though , i have 2x 1gb ram in my pc , and 1x 2gb ram , and my computer says that 2gb Ram is only 0,5 ram

Total : 2,5 GB

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
If you have more than 2 gigs of ram, then go with the 64-bit version, but if you're sticking with your current ram then go with the 32-bit version.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
32 bit (less filling) 64 bit (more flavor) ...your pick but my vote is more flavor.

EDIT: 64 bit is more useful these days since there are a lot more drivers available. The prices of memory are low enough that you will get at least 4GB. Unless you have a piece of legacy hardware that doesn't have any 64 bit support then go for sixty-four! Professional and Ultimate come w/both 32/64 bit disc. I'm not sure about the others.

·
Banned
775 Posts
If you buy a retail copy I think it comes with both 32/64bit!?!?! Not sure about this though.

I would go with 64-bit as 32-bit is old news. 64-bit is the future.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
My lappy with 3Gb of ram handled X64 just fine, and my rig with 6Gb there is almost no difference when navigating through windows or typing text. If I were you I would install the X64 just to save time if you ever decide to install more than 3 Gb

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Almost everyone says 64bit , so i made my decision , i will go for 64 bit , and i just bought some new ram (4gb) so i will also use that.

Thanks all !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts