Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running windows 7 - 64 bit for almost 5 months with no problems. However, about 2 weeks ago everything began freezing up or lagging and even crashing. My build is an i5 750 at stock speeds, intel gigabyte p55 mobo, 4 gb ddr3 ram 1066.

After a clean install (assuming it was a virus) it has been acting still. Recently, after updating all drivers, it has only been lagging dramatically soon after start up and then being pretty normal after that. Any suggestions as to the problem?

Nevermind, the lagging is still dramatic even long after startup. It is dominant with Google Chrome, but is also all throughout windows explorer.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have the exact same issue with Win7 74 bit as do a few others I know. Seems to be something wrong with Win7 itself.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Are you running RTM version? I'd like to think mine is caused by running RTM

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
With any x64 OS, it could be something simple like an IDE or more likely USB driver. It could have been something you installed through windows update in the optional list.

Best thing to do would be a wipe/clean install like this:

1: OS
2: AVG Free (NOT any bundled security suite or software firewall)
3: Windows updates, required only! Not the optional hardware drivers.

Then see how it runs like that for a day. Next, drivers from the MANUFACTURER website:

4: Mobo chipset drivers if needed
5: Audio driver if needed.
6: Vid driver.

And see how it runs with only those. Eventually, you'll install something that causes the prob and it will become clear. You'll have to go 1 by 1.

Also, disconnect your optical drives and see if it might be a fritzy drive or driver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts