Overclock.net banner

Windows 7: Aero Vs Basic Vs Classic

55887 28
So I keep hearing that Aero over Basic uses more of your gpu, and that it may effect your fps in games. I have yet to see actual numbers, so i decided to this out myself. Added Classic test by request of TwoCables
I am using:
Sig Rig
Furmark 1.8.0 benchmarking with Post FX at Fullscreen 1680x1060 for 1 min.
Ran each test 3 times, got the same results for each.

These are my results

Aero and Transparency On:


Aero with Transparency Off:


Basic:


Classic:


As you can see by turning off Aero your minimum fps greatly increases, yet the average only increased by one. I am surprised however that there is no difference between Basic and Classic, I thought at least the minimum would have increased. It is enough however to convince me to run with Basic
  • Rep+
Reactions: sgr215 and cs_maan
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,275 Posts
Many games actually switch Windows to basic temporarily while it is running.

I'll trade a few FPS for a better looking experience outside of games either way though.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
84,195 Posts
What happens when using the Windows Classic theme?

By the way, csscmaster3: this is perfect timing as I was finally beginning to wonder the very same thing last night. I even went so far as to try gaming with the Windows Classic theme, but it made no difference that I could feel or see. However, I certainly understand that a benchmark would reveal any differences.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
84,195 Posts
hehe 2 more points with Classic, but the temperature was higher.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
hehe 2 more points with Classic, but the temperature was higher.
Well on the aero and basic tests i let my gpu cool down all the way to 37 in between tests, so the conditions aren't 100% the same for classic, I just did it quickly to show you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,464 Posts
gain 9 min fps. but aside from that not really worth it
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
84,195 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by csscmaster3 View Post
Well on the aero and basic tests i let my gpu cool down all the way to 37 in between tests, so the conditions aren't 100% the same for classic, I just did it quickly to show you

Oh, well now I appreciate it even more! Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,591 Posts
I think if its not too much of your time it would be interesting to test this with say the STALKER or the Crysis benchmark utilities. I'm not saying get on it now but for future reference it would add more support to this hypothesis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cs_maan View Post
I think if its not too much of your time it would be interesting to test this with say the STALKER or the Crysis benchmark utilities. I'm not saying get on it now but for future reference it would add more support to this hypothesis.
Ok thanks, I do that either tonight or tomorrow. I did Furmark because i knew it was a fast test.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
84,195 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,591 Posts
There's a free Crysis benchmark utility you can get, but I'm not sure if you need to own the game to use it or not.

Same thing with stalker, there should be a utility, I'll get you links for both.*

*Never mind TwoCables beat me to it
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
84,195 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cs_maan View Post
There's a free Crysis benchmark utility you can get, but I'm not sure if you need to own the game to use it or not.

Same thing with stalker, there should be a utility, I'll get you links for both.*

*Never mind TwoCables beat me to it

hehe
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
84,195 Posts
Aw damn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,591 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by csscmaster3 View Post
That tool requires Crysis...i just tried it, I'm download the stalker benchmark, so I'll just use that

Sounds good I'll keep an eye out
.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top