Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I woke up today and found my laptop to be half functional.

1. I start it up as usual, and it spends a good 2 minutes "preparing desktop". That usually doesn't happen.
2. It finally gets in, but my settings are all reverted to default profile. No wallpaper.
3. My programs are gone. By all, I mean practically everything I installed except for some reason I've still got silent hill homecoming.
4. Click into the shortcut folders like My Pictures, music. Nothing there. However, I look into my the user folder of my C drive and my files are all working.
5. System restore is not working. Catastrophic failure for all points.

I'm currently backing up my drive seeing as how it appears to be "working" and my data is alright. Is this a virus problem or some kind of hard drive failure? Is it worth my time to reinstall my windows?

If it means anything, this kind of thing happened to me like once every 3 months but when it did, it usually fixes by itself after I do a shut down. This time, it didn't work. Also, lately I've had to press the power button like 3-4 times to get it to actually boot up but I don't really remember if it's because I didn't press hard enough or not.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't understand why it's not working though, because my files are all fine. They are all in the correct places and everything. I've restarted and fully shut downed several times now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reason why I'm wondering is cuz I was bringing it around with me in a backpack for a couple weeks.. more often than I usually do. Sometimes I get careless and put it kinda hard and a table and it makes rather loud bump. I also actually hit it on the door yesterday on my way inside... while it was hibernating on very low battery....

·
!
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikeblue;13049784
Reason why I'm wondering is cuz I was bringing it around with me in a backpack for a couple weeks.. more often than I usually do. Sometimes I get careless and put it kinda hard and a table and it makes rather loud bump. I also actually hit it on the door yesterday on my way inside... while it was hibernating on very low battery....
On second thought, I think you bashing it around has something to do with it.

Mechanical drive?

·
Premium Member
13,405 Posts
Format is the easy solution. How about you download Acronis Drive Monitor and see if it says the drive is failing before doing anything rash.

If it appears to be ok, then I would run chkdsk to see if there are any file structure errors.

After that, if it is still not working properly, you could backup and format, try a repair installation of WIN7, or maybe check and see if everything works correctly in safe mode.

Shortcuts like my pictures and my documents... You can right click the shortcuts and make sure they are pointing to the correct location. Are you saying your programs are not showing up when you go into the control panel to view your installed programs?

·
!
1,084 Posts
speedfan can read smart values. that might tell you if the hd is going.

I'm with everyone else; backup the stuff you need, reinstall win7, and see if the problem persists. If it does, buy a new drive.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried safe mode already, and I see the same thing as I do with regular start up. My stuff shows up fine on uninstall programs though. For my shortcuts, they are pointing to public and TEMP which is really weird. Like I know I can change it, but everything else is messed up. My shortcuts have all disappeared even though they are still there in users/myname/desktop

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My backup is just about to finish but I have to drive like 3 hours home to get to my recovery disks -.- But I'm still under warranty so if there's something wrong with the HD I should be ok. I just wanted to know if there was a more time-saving or alternative solution I don't know about.

·
!
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikeblue;13049918
My backup is just about to finish but I have to drive like 3 hours home to get to my recovery disks -.- But I'm still under warranty so if there's something wrong with the HD I should be ok. I just wanted to know if there was a more time-saving or alternative solution I don't know about.
Maybe download win 7 and use your valid key. That should be faster than 6 hour round trip suckfest.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts