Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I got that $30 Win7 deal for students. Win7 Pro. Today I got a new hard drive in the mail, installed Win7 via a DVD with an image on it but it is not taking the product key. I've tried the key like 10 times and it keeps saying the key is not valid. I cannot skip it for now or anything like that. Help?

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitzogreg
View Post

Call the phone number it gives you. It will work.

There is no phone number provided, I thought of that already. Anyone know the number?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenFaux
View Post

Pretty basic, but did you make sure you were typing the 0s as 0s and the Os as Os?

I can double check but I don't even think there were any 0s or Os.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Here is the problem. The Student $30 deal is for an upgrade, and you are installing to a new HDD. Try installing without entering the product code. let it install the trial, then install Win 7 again. You can even format the HDD prior to reinstalling.

You didnt have an issue with your old HDD because you had a previous install of Windows on it. The Install can actually detect if an OS was already installed even if you formatted the drive.

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericeod
View Post

Here is the problem. The Student $30 deal is for an upgrade, and you are installing to a new HDD. Try installing without entering the product code. let it install the trial, then install Win 7 again.

You didnt have an issue with your old HDD because you had a previous install of Windows on it. The Install can actually detect if an OS was already installed even if you formatted the drive.

Oh wow you're exactly right. Dude thanks. I'll see if I can get it to install the trial like you said. If not I can install XP on it. Many thanks to you! Was worried there for a bit.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zulli85
View Post

Oh wow you're exactly right. Dude thanks. I'll see if I can get it to install the trial like you said. If not I can install XP on it. Many thanks to you! Was worried there for a bit.

No problem. I had the same issue when I installed Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade. it installed fine on my RAID which had Vista on it. Then a week later, after getting a pair of VelociRaptors, it wouldnt install. I just installed Vista onto the RAID, then formatted and installed Windows 7.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts