Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Can someone give me some advice?
I have problems with loading Windows. The boot itself works fine.
But after i login it takes very long before i can open programs.
Like when i open web browser or whatever it takes forever for the pc to respond.
After a while the system reacts as normal. Everything opens in a snap.

I really don't know what the problem is. I think it is hdd related.
Already disabled about all startup programs so that cant be it.

I am running an raid0 stripe with 2 WD Caviar Black 1tb disks.
Thought about testing the disk so i downloaded the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics. But i can't get the S.M.A.R.T. to work.
Enabled it in the bios but Lifeguard still displays:

The stripe is also 100gb to small but that was from day 1 when i bought the disks a few years back.

Also done an HD Tune Benchmark:

Does this look normal? I found other tests which had a more straight line with less spikes. Also the burst rate looks a bit extreme.
biggrin.gif

HD Tune passed the error scan with no problems.

Literally now I noticed that the temp of the disks aren't displayed either. Also hwmonitor doesn't display the temp anymore.
eh-smiley.gif

Can this be OS related? I messed around quiet a bit with overclocking the past few weeks because of my new cpu which i try to find a stable OC with. I know overclocking can sometimes corrupt the OS but apart from this issue the system is working pretty good....

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper1591 View Post

Can a virus make windows load that slow and work no problem after that?
And error scan passed like i said in the post above.
Musted have missed that, sorry.

Ummm, maybe, not sure.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasov_581 View Post

is either of them too hot to the touch and/or making noise?
I know what kind of noise you mean
smile.gif

Just checked and now. They are just making the regular reading noise. No ticking or grinding or whatever.
And they feel just good temp wise. I think 30-35c by the feeling. Just a bit warm to the touch.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Smart has failed on the drive. Please post a screen shot for the health tab under HDTune.

Do you have the AMD raidxpert installed? It is required for your RAID to functiion properly. Also, make sure you are using a striped RAID 0, not concatinated.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post

Smart has failed on the drive. Please post a screen shot for the health tab under HDTune.

Do you have the AMD raidxpert installed? It is required for your RAID to functiion properly. Also, make sure you are using a striped RAID 0, not concatinated.
I thought i had installed Raidxpert yes. I don't see it running in the background is isn't that necessary? Weird thing is if have used the raid0 setup for like an year and think it was working properly....
Can you advice me some more on the Raidexpert? Do i need to config it or whatever?

And how can i see which type of raid0 i have?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Reset the CMOS, re-configure your BIOS, post back results.

Also, to see what type of raid you have:

CMD > Diskraid > Should start the diskraid tool built into Windows, you can configure your raid there, and check which type it is. I've not done a RAID 0 in so long, I am a little rusty myself, I can do some digging around tomorrow though
smile.gif

Also, best thing I can recommend is to reformat, check the disks separately, smart should pick them up then, but obviously this is a fair amount of effort.

Personally, I would avoid RAID 0 on HDD's, but that is just me, I'd only consider RAID 0 for the cache.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxborough View Post

Reset the CMOS, re-configure your BIOS, post back results.

Also, to see what type of raid you have:

CMD > Diskraid > Should start the diskraid tool built into Windows, you can configure your raid there, and check which type it is. I've not done a RAID 0 in so long, I am a little rusty myself, I can do some digging around tomorrow though
smile.gif

Also, best thing I can recommend is to reformat, check the disks separately, smart should pick them up then, but obviously this is a fair amount of effort.

Personally, I would avoid RAID 0 on HDD's, but that is just me, I'd only consider RAID 0 for the cache.
Ehm, I just got the board back this weekend from repairs from Gigabyte so the cmos was had been reset and reconfigured.

Yeah i'm thinking of doing a re-install and dropping raid0 completely.
Diskraid won't display a thing. Because i don't have a dedicated raid card i think?
I use the motherboard to make the raid.

It's just because i only have two 1tb disks i went with raid because that gives me about 250MB/s read speads compared to the 125 single disk speed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts