Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a copy of Win 7 Pro I bought, it says its for system builders but I was able to buy it...

My question is, I put it on my current PC works great but I plan on building a NEW pc (new mobo etc)

WILL i beable to activate it on my new build? or do i HAVE to repurchase 7?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
OEM versions are tied to the motherboard you activated the copy with. Therefore no you will not be able to activate it on your new build.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xsabrewulf
View Post

I have a copy of Win 7 Pro I bought, it says its for system builders but I was able to buy it...

My question is, I put it on my current PC works great but I plan on building a NEW pc (new mobo etc)

technically you have to repurchase but as far as I can tell MS doesn't care. i've used my OEM vista on two motherboards (not simultaneously). when you install on an unauthorized motherboard you have to call in to activate it. i got the automated prompt that asked me "on how many computers is this copy of windows installed?", i responded "one", and the automated rep gave me the key to activate windows.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is there NO way around this? that is really stupid they should beable to release the key from my old mobo

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,662 Posts
I would bet you can call them and "transfer" your activation. I'm aware of current software policies by Microsoft, but they really just want to know that one PC is using one copy of Windows 7. I think you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitzogreg
View Post

I would bet you can call them and "transfer" your activation. I'm aware of current software policies by Microsoft, but they really just want to know that one PC is using one copy of Windows 7. I think you'll be fine.

+1 as long as its only on one pc at a time they REALLY dont give a crap (at least the reps dont). i have heard of a BUNCH of people using OEM windows on a few computers as long as its only one at a time. just remember when you call in tell them that it is on "ONLY ONE" computer.

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
The retail version can be installed on one computer then say you build another you just uninstall from the old one and reinstall on the new rig. They don't get bound to the motherboard.

~B~

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xsabrewulf View Post

1 phone call for a new key and you just saved yourself $100. Retail is for the uninformed, IMO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts