Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 446 Posts

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This guide will cover how to install the GPU client for nVidia GPUs (AMD users, please check here), as well as using HFM to monitor the PPD.

Users with AMD 5 series or newer GPUs must use this guide instead:
http://www.overclock.net/t/977079/windows-7-v7-gpu-folding-guide

GPU Guide:

Files needed:

1) Windows GPU Client. The first client in the list, under "System tray client".
(Direct Link)
(Direct Link - console)

2) HFM.NET. Under "Featured Downloads".
(Direct Link)

Installation:

1) Install the GPU client:

2) Move the shortcut in the Start Menu (in [email protected]) into the Startup folder (if using an 5xxx series ATI card, check below). This way it starts folding straight away.

3) Start the client, and you'll now need to edit your information.

• User name: [Your Folding Name]
  • Team number: 37726
  • Passkey: Leave blank.

NOTE: You don't have to change any of the other settings in the other tabs.

4) Your client should now be working fine. Check the system tray icon to make sure it's running.

ATi Users:

1) If you want to fold on a 5xxx series GPU, you will need to add a flag. To do this, go to the install location of the GPU client (in C> Program Files (x86)> [email protected]> [email protected]).

Make a shortcut of the [email protected].exe file into the "Startup" Folder in the Start Menu. Rightclick the shortcut and choose Properties. At the end of the "Target" field, add a space and "-forcegpu ati_r700", as below:
ATi 6xxx series users should use "-forcegpu ati_r800" instead

2) Run this .reg file to change the environmental variables, to lower the CPU usage of the GPU2 client.

NOTE: To fold on multiple GPUs, please follow this guide.

Pausing the client:

The GPU2 client has the ability to pause folding (during those times when you have to game). To do this, rightclick the client, and choose pause work. The icon shoud change like this:

Don't forget to start it up again when you're finished!

(You could also close the client and start it up again if you wish. The client will save the WU and continue when it starts.)

Warning:
Do not use the client viewer. It severly impacts the performance of your computer, in both folding and other applications. It may also cause your client to crash and lose its WU.

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HFM.NET Guide:

1) Install HFM.NET.

2) Go to Client> Add client:

Fill in the following information:

• Instance Name: [Your choice]
• Client Processor Mhz: [Shader clocks of the GPU] This is not needed for the client. It only gives values for the PPD/Mhz column in HFM
• Log Folder: C:\\Users\\[Your User]\\AppData\\Roaming\\[email protected]\\

It should look similar to this:

3) To save the client information, you'll need to save a configuration file.
Click File> Save Configuration:

Save it in the install location (just to keep it out of the way). Now you need to configure HFM.NET to load that file each time it starts.

4) Go to Edit> Preferences> Startup tab> Check "Load Configuration File" and select the config file you just saved ("Startup" options are optional):

And you're done!

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryahn View Post
Nice guide. Once I get a valid windows 7 iso, I will be following this.
I'd like to make a couple of guides for the other OSs (not sure how I'd do the Mac though). Maybe in the next couple of weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ablearcher View Post
*reserved for zodac's awesomeness*

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guide #2: complete.

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might take you up on that. I'll go over the client instructions and look into making a guide tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
Does HFM not work under XP? I get a "failed to initalize properly" message when using either shortcut or from "my documents"

·
Once more into the Fold
2,948 Posts
Maybe show the members the options they have available in the task manager icon. I know I see a bunch of people asking how to pause or stop the client. Nice guides. Its about time they were updated a little bit.

I run the console version on all my rigs, and I find them easy to setup, but if you are doing a guide and have any questions let me know.

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by franz
View Post

Maybe show the members the options they have available in the task manager icon. I know I see a bunch of people asking how to pause or stop the client. Nice guides. Its about time they were updated a little bit.

I also see a lot of people syaing work doesn't continue after pausing (I know it doesn't for me).
Should I add it...

Alright I'll put it in. Though I'll add that the client can just be closed then started again too. Make everyone happy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by franz
View Post

I run the console version on all my rigs, and I find them easy to setup, but if you are doing a guide and have any questions let me know.

Thanks for the offer. When I get a chance I'm going to run some tests (read: fold) to see if it actually does improve PPD. If it does, I'll make some room for the console client too.

·
Once more into the Fold
2,948 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zodac
View Post

I also see a lot of people syaing work doesn't continue after pausing (I know it doesn't for me).
Should I add it...

Alright I'll put it in. Though I'll add that the client can just be closed then started again too. Make everyone happy.

Thanks for the offer. When I get a chance I'm going to run some tests (read: fold) to see if it actually does improve PPD. If it does, I'll make some room for the console client too.

Yeah even when I used the systray client I hardly used pause. I really liked the "pause when finished" option though. That way I wouldnt have to sit and watch the WU finish. Really handy when I was just testing GPUs.

When I needed to stop the client I would just close it though, instead of pausing.

The console version does not improve PPD. I have tested this with multiple GPUs on multiple systems.

The reason I use it is because I feel it is much more stable. Obviously the more stable a client is, the more WUs you complete and the higher your PPD goes. I think for this reason people say they get more PPD, but WU for WU they are identical in PPD in my testing.

·
Testing...
3,246 Posts
How long until HFM.NET starts reading correct values?

·
Once more into the Fold
2,948 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by S.M. View Post
How long until HFM.NET starts reading correct values?
If you mean when does the status bar go from yellow to green, its after 3%.

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The system tray one and console one are both high performance, and both get the same PPD.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I run a 5850 and when I put the option 'forcegpu ati_r700' it doesn't work, just pops up with a list of other possible options.

Also, what exactly does HFM.NET do?

1 - 20 of 446 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.