Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to let my computer go to sleep when I'm not using it, however I also like to let it defrag my 4 HDDs (2x in a RAID0 array though), do disk cleanup, download game patches, updates, mods and various other stuff, as well as a lot of other automated things at about 4am. Is there a way I can make Windows not go into standby at 4:20am while those tasks are still going?

What I really need is a way to disable standby only between 4am and 9am, when they all have finished up.

Edit: I found a program called "Wake on Standby" and I'm trying that with a setup for it to run one of the programs I use (The one that takes the longest), then to run a script that waits until 9am and then puts the computer to sleep, I still want other suggestions in case it doesn't work as it hasn't been tested with Windows 7 and I want to have a lot of possible ways of doing this, but I better go to bed now.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutuz
View Post

I like to let my computer go to sleep when I'm not using it, however I also like to let it defrag my 4 HDDs (2x in a RAID0 array though), do disk cleanup, download game patches, updates, mods and various other stuff, as well as a lot of other automated things at about 4am. Is there a way I can make Windows not go into standby at 4:20am while those tasks are still going?

What I really need is a way to disable standby only between 4am and 9am, when they all have finished up.

Edit: I found a program called "Wake on Standby" and I'm trying that with a setup for it to run one of the programs I use (The one that takes the longest), then to run a script that waits until 9am and then puts the computer to sleep, I still want other suggestions in case it doesn't work as it hasn't been tested with Windows 7 and I want to have a lot of possible ways of doing this, but I better go to bed now.

Ideally test it and check to see if it works. I don't see Windows having the option to change power settings without a 3rd party program like that...

Otherwise, make it go to sleep after 2 hours, giving time to defrag and everything but wasting less energy than waiting for you to wake up...?

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it worked, but I think I might just set the standby time to 6 hours, set it so it wakes up on its own then put it to sleep on my own when I go to bed/out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts