Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do i make a system image that only contains necessary drivers and OS?

when i go to "backup" in control panel and hit "create system image" it says its up to 109 GB, so im assuming its my WHOLE PC content. (since its about same size as my data used on HDD)

I want to make a System image that only contains my OS, drivers of mobo, GPU, CPU, etc etc w/o any programs i download or games as well. (basically at the point where my PC was first finished installing the needed drivers)

·
Registered
821 Posts
There isn't really a way to make a backup of your existing install that way (unless you delete all programs, games and uneeded drivers).

Best time to make an image like that is right after the initial install.

You could use sysprep to create an install new image like that... and slipstream the drivers you want into it. But that would still be a separate install setup... and have nothing to do with your currently installed OS.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dam, oh well w/e

ill just not set up any back ups and sytem image back ups

i have nothing important on this PC other than just games and drivers and what not.

if the hard drive fails, I guess ill just have to redownload everything form scratch again
frown.gif
lol

·
Registered
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMKR View Post

Dam, oh well w/e

ill just not set up any back ups and sytem image back ups

i have nothing important on this PC other than just games and drivers and what not.

if the hard drive fails, I guess ill just have to redownload everything form scratch again
frown.gif
lol
Installs are pretty easy, if something of a pain. At least if that happens.. you can get a clean backup like you want.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah but i really dont want to w8 like 20hours setting up a 109GB system image back up
tongue.gif

i thought i would be able to choose what to put in

also, whats the difference between just a back up and a system image? (if im correct a back up is just of your documents right? like in your documents folder? while a system image is what i described in the first post?)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMKR View Post

yeah but i really dont want to w8 like 20hours setting up a 109GB system image back up
tongue.gif

i thought i would be able to choose what to put in

also, whats the difference between just a back up and a system image? (if im correct a back up is just of your documents right? like in your documents folder? while a system image is what i described in the first post?)
A backup is usually whatever you tell your backup software you want to be backed up.. usually data files (although most back up software can also do a System Image... which is a complete copy of your OS drive or partition, with the MBR, boot sector, etc.. backed up also, so that you can do a complete OS restore in case of failure)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts