Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day Windows 7 came out I bought upgrade discs to upgrade my Vista to 7. Now I'm thinking about going to Core I7 which would require me to replace my motherboard. So, my question is... Do I need to buy another copy of Windows 7 to install with the new motherboard or is it not linked to the motherboard like an OEM copy is?

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SacredChaos
View Post

Another question, since it is an upgrade version do I have to install my old Vista, then uprgrade it, or does it ask for a serial or something from a previous version?

The upgrade discs are considered retail, so you will be able to call and activate it.

As for the second question, if you put in the install disc, then format and install, you can use the upgrade disk without having to use another OS. This is because the upgrade disc recognizes the previous OS before formatting (I have done this many times with my upgrade disc). However, if you had a new HDD without any previous installed OS, you would have to install an OS, then run the install from the Win 7 upgrade disc. You can do a clean install with a format first, so dont worry about that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.