Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so when i turn my computer on explorer uses 18mb of ram... as you can see just after a few hours of use my ram usage is through the roof. What would explain this and how would one fix this memory leak?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also a little side note, my hardware system interrupt reach up to 5 % cpu usage when im playing a game, listening to music, rendering 1080p, ect... if you think it is wiser to go the fresh install route, let me know

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,986 Posts
your only supposed to bump once every 24 hours

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
I'm sorry that I don't have a solution, but.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by philhalo66
View Post

your only supposed to bump once every 24 hours

This only applies to the Overclock.net Marketplace forums. On the rest of this message board, it is simply an unwritten rule; the general rule of thumb is to try to avoid bumping your thread more frequently than once every 12 hours or so. The reason for this is that it is a way to do your part in allowing every thread to have an equal chance.

Again, I apologize that I don't have a solution.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Club A Baby Seal 4 Jesus
View Post

also a little side note, my hardware system interrupt reach up to 5 % cpu usage when im playing a game, listening to music, rendering 1080p, ect... if you think it is wiser to go the fresh install route, let me know

The bit in bold; what do you mean?

Mine is running at 60mb at the minute, so yours doesn't seem that off. Mines a pretty fresh install too.

I'm not sure there's a problem here

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom_sufc
View Post

The bit in bold; what do you mean?

Mine is running at 60mb at the minute, so yours doesn't seem that off. Mines a pretty fresh install too.

I'm not sure there's a problem here

My explorer.exe is using between 15 and 16 MB. However, my secret might be my extreme determination in streamlining the living crap out of Windows.

When nothing but Task Manager is running, I have 29 processes running (I go by Task Manager's status bar).

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

My explorer.exe is using between 15 and 16 MB. However, my secret might be my extreme determination in streamlining the living crap out of Windows.

When nothing but Task Manager is running, I have 29 processes running (I go by Task Manager's status bar).

Woh, that's low, but with 29 processes that sounds just about right.

I have 56
I run Fraps, and Everest and other such stuff in the background though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya, i have 56 processes running and its using 60mb of my ram... so that normal as i see now. what about the hardware system interrupts? infact just listening to music right now hardware system interrupts are steeling 5% of my cpu

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Club A Baby Seal 4 Jesus
View Post

ya, i have 56 processes running and its using 60mb of my ram... so that normal as i see now. what about the hardware system interrupts? infact just listening to music right now hardware system interrupts are steeling 5% of my cpu

56? Would you like to reduce this number to maybe 30-35? Or do you need all 56?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom_sufc
View Post

Can you specify what you mean?

What steals 5% CPU? A process?

It shows 5% CPU usage while listening to music.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Quote:

View Post

It shows 5% CPU usage while listening to music.

I see. 5% CPU from the Media Player's ".exe", or the Explorer.exe? Either way it sounds pretty normal.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Quote:

View Post

56? Would you like to reduce this number to maybe 30-35? Or do you need all 56?

I would certainly like to take you up on your offer! I have a lot running usually but I would love to lower the amount of 'stuffs' going on!

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanjaSMK
View Post

I would certainly like to take you up on your offer! I have a lot running usually but I would love to lower the amount of 'stuffs' going on!

Just a fair warning: you will only get out of it what you put into it. I mean, how well you do can depend on your determination to streamline Windows!

So here we go!

One thing I recommend doing is using Black Viper's Windows 7 Service Configurations page to help you completely customize the services in Services.msc (never use msconfig for permanent changes - it's a diagnostic program). This is an extremely popular site for geeks.

Next, I recommend checking his Strange Services page just in case.

After this, I recommend looking at the Processes tab in Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc for quick access) and Googling everything you're curious about just to see how many more can be removed by either using Services.msc, the Registry, or the associated program.

After that, feel free to follow (and be inspired by) his Windows 7 Super Tweaks page! This page may inspire you to come up with your own ideas in to further streamline Windows 7!

After this, I recommend checking the following three Registry keys and Googling anything you find just to see if you can either delete them, or remove them from the Registry using the associated program:
  1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\ CurrentVersion\\Run
  2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\C urrentVersion\\Run
  3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Wow6432Node\\Microso ft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run
Notice that the key names are "Run".
I have these saved to my favorites, and I call them "Main Run", "Other Run", and "7 Main Run" (I thought I was going to find an "Other Run" for Windows 7).

I found the first 2 back when I had XP and they still apply to Windows 7. Then I found the 3rd one once I finally made the switch to Windows 7. It seems like most of the programs I install put something in one of these keys so that something useless and unnecessary runs at system startup.

Tip: When Googling anything for our purposes here, I have found that the most effective searches are the simplest ones: so, when Googling a process, just Google the name of the process.
Or, for the Registry stuff, just Google either the name of the Registry entry, or the file name it points to.

Another tip: When using Black Viper's Windows 7 Service Configurations page, I recommend going through each service one by one manually in this manner: click the service name and especially read what he has to say in the "Additional Information" section. It just might help you make your own decision as to what to do with that service instead of just blindly following his recommendation. After all, no 2 computer users are alike! So therefore, this page is best used as a guide and should not be followed verbatim.

Final tip: If you come across a service where the page he created for that service doesn't help you at all, then it would be best to just leave that service set to his "Safe" or "Tweaked" setting. His "Bare Bones" column is usually best for setting a system up for benchmarking.

I hope that this helps cause you to be determined to streamline the living crap out of your Windows installation. I guarantee you that you will notice a difference when restarting Windows.
Of course you'll feel it elsewhere, but I think the reboot time is a big one for most people.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Thanks ever so much! I have been to his site (Black Viper) and also used Tweakhound as well. I'll definitely keep up the streamlining. Thanks again!

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
Thanks ever so much! I have been to his site (Black Viper) and also used Tweakhound as well. I'll definitely keep up the streamlining. Thanks again!
You're very welcome!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts