Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's laptop originally came with Windows 8, I replaced it's harddrive on day one with Samsung SSD I used Samsung Migration program to do it.

Then I upgraded to 8.1 and we haven't got any problems with it for more than a year.

Then suddenly it asked for activation, I went through the process and it was fine again for a while then it happened again.

When it happened to me the second time it occurred to me that there might be a correlation with something that I did.

The original harddrive from that laptop spent more than a year in a drawer then I wiped it and put it in external usb3 enclosure to use for myself and recently I accessed it from another windows 8 machine and next day my wife's laptop asked for activation. Now that I think of it I remember that when this problem started I also used it with another windows 8 machine.

I need some help from more knowledgeable people, am I crazy thinking that Microsoft remembers the serial number of than harddrive and when it sees it used with different license key Win 8 it freaks out?

Does any of it make any sense to anyone?

·
Have you seen my Baseball
864 Posts
Just go through the activation process again. It will give you the option to activate by phone. If it makes you speak to someone, just tell them that you replaced the hard drive and leave it at that. It's none of their business what you're doing with the original drive. Then they will give you a set of numbers to activate again. Easy peasy.

·
Padawan Overclocker
2,832 Posts
Weird, if that hdd business is true than this is example how MS keeps track of windows installation. This could be due to hdd cloning, which usually makes both HDDs "diskID" the same. However, it's a very small number and shouldn't be used to track windows installations. (maybe it's also random lenght, haven't worked with many diskIDs)

This should only happen if you actually forgot and booted from the old disk with the windows 8 installation intact.

I had to clone the same machine's hdd twice, once from 8 to 8.1 and then 8.1 to 10. From hdd to hdd, activation never bugged me but I wiped and changed the former disks IDs.

·
Have you seen my Baseball
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catscratch View Post

Weird, if that hdd business is true than this is example how MS keeps track of windows installation. This could be due to hdd cloning, which usually makes both HDDs "diskID" the same. However, it's a very small number and shouldn't be used to track windows installations. (maybe it's also random lenght, haven't worked with many diskIDs)

This should only happen if you actually forgot and booted from the old disk with the windows 8 installation intact.

I had to clone the same machine's hdd twice, once from 8 to 8.1 and then 8.1 to 10. From hdd to hdd, activation never bugged me but I wiped and changed the former disks IDs.
I'm inclined to believe that this is simply a coincidence. People give MS way too much credit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have suspected for a while that if the same OEM key is used to activate a second PC the first one may sometimes become deactivated. I have only one anecdote to support this suspicion.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake87 View Post

I'm inclined to believe that this is simply a coincidence. People give MS way too much credit.
I really hope it is a coincidence and not something that MS is doing.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for responses, I was wondering if anyone heard about stuff like this, apparently no. I'll go through activation again and see how it will work after.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts