Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a computer at a Yardsale that was left behind by a roommate, Well, I don't know the password or really how to reset it. They are running Windows 8.1 and it's connected to an E-mail. I was wondering if there was a way to reset the password from another computer? I have the drive out and connected to my PC via an adapter.

I don't want to reformat, because I don't have a Windows 8.1 disk to use or a key.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I tried that. The profile is setup with an email, not just a user account on the PC itself.

·
I've no idea what I'm doi
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDan View Post

Well, I tried that. The profile is setup with an email, not just a user account on the PC itself.
I think you should be able to boot into the advanced options (Shift+ Restart on the lockscreen) And reset the system.

·
Windows Wrangler
2,223 Posts
It's relatively easy to get into, but you'll definitely need Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 installation media (DVD or USB) to do it. You can download either for free from Microsoft and create your own.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i couldnt get any paswword remove tool to work with anything newer than windows 8, what you can do (at least the method i use), is to activate the administrator account that is deactivated by default settings, that way you can log in into that administrator, and remove the password from the other account, or recover data or do whatever you have to do. i use trinity remove password tool for this

·
Windows Wrangler
2,223 Posts
Yeah, I don't use those tools. I've had them not work and/or mess stuff up. It's much easier to insert a Windows installation disc, replace a file, reboot and add a new user account via command line using the Microsoft-provided net.exe tool. Works 100% of the time as long as the system disk isn't encrypted.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you can't get into it, you can create a bootable Windows 8.1 disc or flash drive for free and the license is more than likely tied into the BIOS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts