Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys! After two weeks,i'll be getting a new GPU and i always prefer to do a reinstall when installing a new component.
I can't decide between both.There is unofficial download of the RTM of the 8.1 and i have a windows 7 ultimate disk.
I have a question to the people using Windows 8/8.1 . How is the compatibility with programs? Gaming performance?
Most important for me is how games run.For me,even 2-3fps make a difference.I've noticed there aren't drivers for the 8.1 yet. AMD,Asrock,Intel etc.
I'll use my sig rig but with a R7950 Twin Frozn from MSI.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Reinstalling the OS for a video card upgrade seems like a huge hassle.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-performance,3331-4.html

You might see very minor gains in 8 over 7 but I imagine disabling Aero in 7 would yield similar results. You can see that there are also times when 8 performs just under 7. I don't think reinstalling the OS or switching to 8 is worth the time it would take compared to installing drivers for the 7950.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post

Reinstalling the OS for a video card upgrade seems like a huge hassle.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-performance,3331-4.html

You might see very minor gains in 8 over 7 but I imagine disabling Aero in 7 would yield similar results. You can see that there are also times when 8 performs just under 7. I don't think reinstalling the OS or switching to 8 is worth the time it would take compared to installing drivers for the 7950.
I have AMD now too,will just uninstalling them and deleting all registry entries like it was said in one thread here and then install the 7950 drivers be enough?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels1997 View Post

I have AMD now too,will just uninstalling them and deleting all registry entries like it was said in one thread here and then install the 7950 drivers be enough?
I think so, the method in that thread should completely remove the previous drivers.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
you can uninstall AMD drivers, and then clean leftovers with Driver Fusion cleaner, that should do it easily. I don't think you really need to do a full re-install unless your OS is broken/corrupted or such ... or if you really want win8 (it's OK, been running 8.0 x64 and found no compatibility issues, but you need latest drivers for nearly everything).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts