Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm kind of at a loss of what to do. Windows 8 is pretty bad, so the owner want's to switch to 7.

I can't boot from a USB on this thing - there's no option in BIOS for that, nor is there a boot-option kind of thing. If I make a bootable USB (it has no DVD drive), and try to install while in Windows, it'll get to the third step, restart, and say it can't install because it's not a valid authorization or signature (It's a valid copy of Windows 7). Since I can't find a way to boot from a USB, I don't feel comfortable doing a format C:/ and skipping any problems caused by Windows 8.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,173 Posts
Hi,

Do you not have access to a DVD to burn a copy of Windows to (or the original installation media itself)? If you cannot boot via USB, that's your only option really.

Regards,

Patrick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, the problem is that the laptop doesn't have a drive, so burning it to a disk won't really help (I don't have a portable drive). I've used the bootable USB before, and it works fine. It seems to be a Windows 8 problem.

Also, I have the actual Windows 7 disk - so it's not a source issue...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
there are USB external DVD drives but i'm not sure if that would solve your issue if your vivobook doesnt like booting from USB, secure boot is such a pain.......

on the other hand if you are still willing to give win8 a shot then install one of the many classic start menu/buttons out there which makes it feel exactly like win7 so as long as you stay within desktop chances are you will never have to face metro ever again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

I think you will have to make a UEFI bootable USB drive for Windows 7 using Rufus. The problem is that you are probably using a UEFI bios that is GPT partitioned and your Windows 7 isn't UEFI/GPT ready.*look in your windows 7 files on your USB and see if you have a folder called "EFI". If not it probably isn't UEFI ready. I am only guessing as I didn't actually see the install happen. The guide I linked to explains how to do this. Also, to boot from your USB you have to click:

1. move mouse upper right hand corner
2. go bottom and then click settings
3. change PC settings
4. general
5. scroll down to advance start up
6. you should see the option to boot from usb media there

To see if your current Windows 8 is gpt formatted open an elevated command prompt and type "diskpart" then type "list disk" if there is a * under gpt it's gpt formatted/partitioned
Quote:
Originally Posted by akromatic View Post

there are USB external DVD drives but i'm not sure if that would solve your issue if your vivobook doesnt like booting from USB, secure boot is such a pain.......

on the other hand if you are still willing to give win8 a shot then install one of the many classic start menu/buttons out there which makes it feel exactly like win7 so as long as you stay within desktop chances are you will never have to face metro ever again
I agree with this. Way easier than a new install. And Windows 8 does have its pluses. Although Secure Boot is a pain sometimes it does offer security that W7 doesn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I did the above, and got to step 6... then it said "Secure Boot Violation: Invalid Signature Detected. Check secure boot policy in setup".... what?
/edit

Managed to get past that, but now I get:
"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause..."
It goes on to list:
"\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD"
"Status: 0xc000000d"
"Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data"

This is the same error I got earlier. I tried again with those microsoft-hosted .iso files, and got the same error :/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
.... Secure boot is kinda like the Boot loader on a phone, right?
In which case it COULD possibly be locked or something, meaning you are stuck with Win 8...

Which it's really not that bad
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomlord52 View Post

So I did the above, and got to step 6... then it said "Secure Boot Violation: Invalid Signature Detected. Check secure boot policy in setup".... what?
/edit

Managed to get past that, but now I get:
"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause..."
It goes on to list:
"\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD"
"Status: 0xc000000d"
"Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data"

This is the same error I got earlier. I tried again with those microsoft-hosted .iso files, and got the same error :/
It looks to me like your USB isn't UEFI ready. Follow this guide to make a bootable UEFI Windows 7 USB. Don't forget to backup or have a copy of that Windows 7 first before using Rufus software.

You should be able to go into your UEFI Bios and disable secure boot. If you are trying to install Windows 7 you have to disable secure boot, disable fast boot and enable launch CSM (compatibility support).

Read how to disable secure boot in windows 8.

I am really think you should stick with 8 with the Windows 7 install your notebook will boot slower and not as securely.. I can try to walk you through this though if you are determined to install 7.

Note that you may NOT be even able to disable secure boot. Though this person reports that he/she was able to.

So I can try and be more thorough here with the steps.

Make sure your USB Windows 7 install is UEFI compatible as in the guide I posted in my previous post.

1. Follow the guide in this post on how to boot to UEFI settings. If this doesn't work still then try restarting PC (restart not cold start). Before you hit the splash screen continually press F2.
2. Once in the UEFI/bios then disable secure boot, disable fast boot, enable launch CSM.
3. Save settings and restart. Plug in your USB for W7 install
4. Restart again and hit F2 (or whatever it prompts you to to get back into bios). Or better yet your "boot options" menu.
5. Select to boot from your USB first
6. Install Windows 7.
7. If you can't get past step 7 in the guide I linked to in MY step 6 then PM me or write back here. You may have to convert your disk to MBR. I can show you how to do this. Here's how if you need to.
7a. At step 7 hit control + F10 this will bring up command prompt
7b. type "diskpart"
7c. type "list disk"
7d. type "select disk X (X= the corresponding number of the disk you want to install 7 to which is usually 0 so instead of "X" you type "0")
7e. type clean disk
7f. type convert MBR
7g. type exit and then proceed with clean install
*****note that 7a through 7g are optional and only if necessary. also note if you want to back to GPT just do the steps again except type "convert GPT"*****

I think I covered it all. Let us know how it goes. Again, I'd stay with 8 and just use a free app to get the start button back and boot right to desktop..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
What's up doom! So I personally agree with these other dudes to give Win 8 another shot. I have been using Start8 which I find a lot better and more user friendly than the other alternatives BUT I guess it all depends on why you think Win 8 is bad. What about it don't you like? Is it something that can be overlooked or fixed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did ALL of that, but as soon as I select `boot from usb', it gives the error I stated above (EFI\Microsoft, etc...).

I looked through all of the BIOS - everything is off. I couldn't find launch CSM though. Could it be under a different name?

/edit

It's not me that likes/hates it; it's the owner of the laptop (it's not mine - I'm just doing this for them). They don't like the whole tiles thing - they just want the start bar, one 'area' to work in, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomlord52 View Post

So, I'm kind of at a loss of what to do. Windows 8 is pretty bad, so the owner want's to switch to 7.

I can't boot from a USB on this thing - there's no option in BIOS for that, nor is there a boot-option kind of thing. If I make a bootable USB (it has no DVD drive), and try to install while in Windows, it'll get to the third step, restart, and say it can't install because it's not a valid authorization or signature (It's a valid copy of Windows 7). Since I can't find a way to boot from a USB, I don't feel comfortable doing a format C:/ and skipping any problems caused by Windows 8.
may the universe have mercy on me but, i'm guessing this > http://startisback.com/ < isn't an option? if all else fails i do have a solution! I learned a nice little trick working with some POS systems which have NOTHING but, a hard drive i had to learn how to install an os with NO usb, floppy, or cd. this being an ewer sata laptop i also have a second little trick that should work.

EDIT: you will need to be able to boot off a sata hdd or sdd to pull this off, and you will need a second computer or a second sata hdd or ssd, that you can copy files to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
501 Posts
A guy downgraded to Win 7 a Vivo S400:

"1. Enter Bios settings by holding down the F2 key at startup (when you see the asus logo)
2. Now in the bios switch to the Security Tab/Menu
3. At the very bottom you will see an option called "Secure Boot Control". Disable that.
4. Now, switch to the "Boot" menu
5. Under boot configuration you will see an option called "Launch CSM". IF you don't enable this you won't be able to see you Hard Drive.
6. Now save setting and exit by pressing F10
7. Insert your bootable usb copy of Windows 7 or use an USB External DVD drive (I used this)
8. At startup press the ESC key this will bring the Boot up Menu.
9. Select the boot device that contains windows 7 and let it load completely."

The rest of it:

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/asus-vivobook-s400ca/4852-3121_7-35547535.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
doomlord, the Start8 application has a 30 day trial. It can be customized quite a bit, from the Start Menu icon to disabling the hot corners. (Top Left, Bottom Left and Top Right) Download for them and have the person test it out for a week. I promise, if they can keep an open mind, they'll love it just as much as I do.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar3f View Post

A guy downgraded to Win 7 a Vivo S400:

"1. Enter Bios settings by holding down the F2 key at startup (when you see the asus logo)
2. Now in the bios switch to the Security Tab/Menu
3. At the very bottom you will see an option called "Secure Boot Control". Disable that.
4. Now, switch to the "Boot" menu
5. Under boot configuration you will see an option called "Launch CSM". IF you don't enable this you won't be able to see you Hard Drive.
6. Now save setting and exit by pressing F10
7. Insert your bootable usb copy of Windows 7 or use an USB External DVD drive (I used this)
8. At startup press the ESC key this will bring the Boot up Menu.
9. Select the boot device that contains windows 7 and let it load completely."

The rest of it:

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/asus-vivobook-s400ca/4852-3121_7-35547535.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomlord52 View Post

I did ALL of that, but as soon as I select `boot from usb', it gives the error I stated above (EFI\Microsoft, etc...).

I looked through all of the BIOS - everything is off. I couldn't find launch CSM though. Could it be under a different name?

/edit

It's not me that likes/hates it; it's the owner of the laptop (it's not mine - I'm just doing this for them). They don't like the whole tiles thing - they just want the start bar, one 'area' to work in, etc.
Looks like it's under boot configuration. Could be something with the name "Legacy" in it too.

Also, you can get the owners laptop to boot directly to the desktop with these apps. Also, they get the start button with these apps. I'd tell the owner that the laptop is a massive PITA to downgrade and that the start apps are a better solution as they can be reversed/uninstalled with Windows releases the final cut of 8.1 and Windows will do this native for the most part. I'd also tell them that upon investigation Windows 8 is the superior OS for their laptop as the notebook is a touchscreen as well (am I correct that it's touchscreen?).

I really want to help you but without seeing your particular bios its very hard.

One thing I could suggest is take a screen shot of every bios screen with a camera and post back here. Another is to try posting this problem in http://www.eightforums.com/. They may have run into your particular notebook before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomlord52 View Post

I did ALL of that, but as soon as I select `boot from usb', it gives the error I stated above (EFI\Microsoft, etc...).

I looked through all of the BIOS - everything is off. I couldn't find launch CSM though. Could it be under a different name?

/edit

It's not me that likes/hates it; it's the owner of the laptop (it's not mine - I'm just doing this for them). They don't like the whole tiles thing - they just want the start bar, one 'area' to work in, etc.
startisback can be had for $3. its a very customizable traditional start menu that boots to desktop so you never have to see metro tiles ever again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akromatic View Post

8.1 only gives you a button not the menu
QFT.

Have a computer here running 8.1 Preview and I'm already starting to foresee RAEG reactions by some of the folks who wanted that Start button back in Windows 8. This folk most probably equate having the Start button back to also have the Start Menu back.
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
I totally feel the op's pain on this. I just went through this on a lappy for a friend. MS really went out of their way to shove 8 down their customer's throats. I will hold out as long as I can on win 7...

Secure boot..Jeez!. Way too much like Apple's deathgrip on their stuff. No thanks! Why would you force a touchscreen OS on a laptop that doesn't have a touchscreen?
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top