·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,005 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim888 View Post

if you play games using Games for Windows Live DONT GO WINDOWS 8 they still do NOT work.

just FYI
GFWL does work with windows 8 ....only need to download latest version from homepage.....steam updated GFWL does not work in windows 8

·
Registered
800 Posts
Windows 8 has incredible fast boot time but the quality of OS feels still unfinished.

There is still some compability problems with software and hardware....need to wait SP1 before i would recommend to use windows 8.

So i would say go for windows 7 for now.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I personally would not recommend windows 8 for gaming at this point. There seems to be a few incompatibilities that need to be fixed.

That aside, it is a brilliant OS when it works. however it is total garbage when it does not work.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdenc View Post

windows 8 has similar performance in game.
that's what i do stick with my old windows7. do the magic tweaking and your set for a "light" a good responding system.
dont disable the second logon service
I have had Secondary Logon disabled for years without any problems.

I used this guide to help me figure out what I can disable, what I can set to Manual, and what should be left on Automatic:

http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

I simply read about each service, particularly the comments he wrote, and I used what I learned to make my decisions about each service - one by one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i built a brand new ITX and was running Win7 Ultimate with a dual boot of Win8 Pro Media Edition.. because of the gaming factor... this was because most older games would not work cause of the backward compatibly of .NET .. but as of last month jan/feb... windows released a new update for the .NET and now i have yet to find a game that works in my Win7 that doesn't work for Win8... I TOTALLY recommend Win8 now for Games.. i completely uninstalled Win7 and went over to Win8.. Lovin it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodys View Post

GFWL does work with windows 8 ....only need to download latest version from homepage.....steam updated GFWL does not work in windows 8
well...I play Dirt3 and it uses GFWL...I let steam download it...and it's perfectly working on Win8 Pro!

Anyway I advice you to switch to Win8! You won't go back! Don't worry about the new interface....you'll get used to it in a while. When using win7 I was thinking to get an utility like that (startmenu8 and so on) after the upgrade....but now I don't need it! Everything is so fast...and I can find all my apps in a new way! Couldn't go back to Win7 now! And my system loads in 5 seconds! Awesome!
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom2 View Post

well...I play Dirt3 and it uses GFWL...I let steam download it...and it's perfectly working on Win8 Pro!

Anyway I advice you to switch to Win8! You won't go back! Don't worry about the new interface....you'll get used to it in a while. When using win7 I was thinking to get an utility like that (startmenu8 and so on) after the upgrade....but now I don't need it! Everything is so fast...and I can find all my apps in a new way! Couldn't go back to Win7 now! And my system loads in 5 seconds! Awesome!
thumb.gif
well I wish mine would...SSF4: AE and Street Fighter X Tekken dont work at all...says its running in task manager but Not even a start screen pops up

ive tired all sorts of recommendations out there to no affect, other than that though I Love my windows 8

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim888 View Post

well I wish mine would...SSF4: AE and Street Fighter X Tekken dont work at all...says its running in task manager but Not even a start screen pops up

ive tired all sorts of recommendations out there to no affect, other than that though I Love my windows 8
My SSF4: AE works like a charm, windows 8, have you tried reinstaling GFWL, and then the game itself?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
When I switched from window 7 to 8 I noticed a drop in some benchmark scores....not a huge concern for me as Im a gamer first. At the time I had a 2500k cpu and I remember having a serious drop in my physics score in 3dmark11 when i switched to win 8......win 7 was around 9000 physics score win 8 was around 8000...strangely

As you can tell in my rig I went back to win 7 but now I have a 3770k
smile.gif

·
Registered
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2spartan View Post

When I switched from window 7 to 8 I noticed a drop in some benchmark scores....not a huge concern for me as Im a gamer first. At the time I had a 2500k cpu and I remember having a serious drop in my physics score in 3dmark11 when i switched to win 8......win 7 was around 9000 physics score win 8 was around 8000...strangely
There have been few updates on 3dmark11 for windows 8 since the launch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts