Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
edit: Since PCI is no longer native, a Soundblaster Z PCI-E card with no driver installed using Windows UAA driver will be better on some boards. Installing the Creative driver for it has huge lag, but while using the default Windows driver, you're probably going to be limited to two channel sound.

If you have to have 5.1, then you'll probably be better off with a X-Fi since it has a lighter weight driver. Using anything higher than 16 bit 44.1k two channel sound has a lot worse cursor movement though.

If you want to use the X-FI with drivers, you need to disable EAX, CMSS, Crystallizer, and set bitrate to 16 bit 44.1k, then it will have mouse movement much more similar to older cards back on Win 7.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatelolcats View Post

hmm interesting
i think i'll stick with onboard
Which is basically worse than everything I just posted about....

Actually, on-board sound and the Soundblaster Z PCIE with drivers installed are probably equally bad. At least the on-board sound I've tested on multiple Z77 boards.

·
New to Coverlock.net
139 Posts
I've still got this ancient x-fi xtrememusic that I've been using and it seems to work fine, of course I'm still on win7 (laugh)

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
How does the Soundblaster Z compare to the Xfi in terms of sound quality especially music?

·
Registered
265 Posts
You could also get a nice stereo system and hook your USB DAC up to that. Recently did that while traveling and the cabin had a Yamaha stereo system so I just used line out on my Fiio E10K to the stereo. Had alright cube speakers too. Although some stereo systems have digital coax in along with my DAC having coax out. Might have to give that a test some time.
redface.gif

·
Registered
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ach View Post

The 3rd party Asus drivers also advertised "low DPC latency mode" as only adding +100 DPC latency, when I have 2 DPC latency on my system at idle. Maybe they don't suck now, maybe they still do, I don't know, but I'm guessing they do suck..
What's your DPC latency when playing music or smth, still 2 microseconds ?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Don't care enough to give a damn really.
DPC latency is already under 100 with onboard soundcard on my Z77 maximus with any form of load.

Idle around 3-10.

And you said you are sceptical about other soundcards, so you have no Idea how they are ofc as usual.
You just speculate that Creative is the best which have a horrible trackrecord with stability.

Okey then.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pente View Post

I've still got this ancient x-fi xtrememusic that I've been using and it seems to work fine, of course I'm still on win7 (laugh)
X-Fi xtrememusic should be the same SB0460 as the X-FI Platinum that I talked about in the post. No reason to upgrade for worse software and no sound quality benefit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbojumbo View Post

If you primarily use headphones, you could always try a external DAC and amp.
I would never use a USB DAC on a system where you care about mouse movement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggiddi View Post

How does the Soundblaster Z compare to the Xfi in terms of sound quality especially music?
Haven't really compared them in-depth. They're both better than Audigy 2, and after that point, it seems like heavy diminishing returns for what someone would consider quality. It's not exactly a good question to ask me since I care more about the sound cards effect on mouse movement than quality of sound. I would not be surprised if the X-FI was better, but like I said, you need to disable EAX, CMSS 3d, Crystallizer, and all other sound processing to have non-crappy mouse movement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightmist View Post

What's your DPC latency when playing music or smth, still 2 microseconds ?
Moving a 1000hz mouse is usually more IO intensive than doing things like that.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Quote:

Moving a 1000hz mouse is usually more IO intensive than doing things like that..
Yea but isn't the Sound Card the main reason of DPC latency when listening to music and not moving the mouse? You're stating that DPC latency is a useful number / not a measure of Input Lag but you're not listing any other DPC values for other people to use it as a reference.

I appreciate and respect the effort you are putting into these threads but the only reference we can use at this point are your "feels" compared to our "feels" which doesn't really help benching a system's responsiveness.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
That old X-fi has the three modes right? Audio creation, entertainment and gaming. Did you test for any difference between them?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Marking this so that I can test when I get home. I've never bought into all this stuff, because I've never felt it before. But I have a Soundblaster Z, and have been having an issue where an audio device keeps popping up and disappearing so I'm going to do some testing tonight.

Should I be able to test the DPC latency in three steps?

No driver installed
Driver Installed, no effects enabled
Driver installed, sound effects enabled and other processing.

It should go up each time by a noticeable amount correct?

·
Some Guy
714 Posts
Quote:

I would never use a USB DAC on a system where you care about mouse movement..
What kind of effect do you think it'll have if someone bought an external DAC with HDMI support?
And then run audio through GPU HDMI port.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
With newer motherboards losing PCI support these days, what would be the best PCI-e alternative? The Soundblaster Z or something else?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
This sounds about as reliable as snake oil... So how does the sound card affect mouse movement, again?

1 - 20 of 258 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.