Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im fixing a laptop for a friend. As far as i knew the issue was no operating system.

Im using my Windows 7 disc to install, i get as far as partitioning and wiped it all and created a new partition. When i try to hit next it says.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

When i go into the bios and attempt to run a disc check it tells me "Hard drive not exist" even though i was able to partition it. I cannot even set it to top priority in the boot order as it isnt detected. But windows detects it and allows me to partition it...

Makes no sense to me. Hopefully someone can help out here

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Drive could be failing.

·
Ever Forward.
6,524 Posts
Bios being weird; try resetting to defaults.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-Imagery View Post

Bios being weird; try resetting to defaults.
I've done that. This HP pavillion has one of the worst BIOS i have ever seen though. it has like 3 total options that you can change.

I was starting to think the hard drive was bad. Im fixing it for a pawn shop owner friend. Someone sold it to him a few days ago. I guess this is why they sold it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post

Take out the drive from laptop. Connect it to your PC and format it with NTFS.

Try again.
After Ubuntu installed fine i formatted again and its letting me install windows now. Not sure why that made any difference. Seems like all of the factory installed HP garbage was screwing something up.

Can anyone recommend a good windows based hard drive test? After this finishes i want to make sure the hard drive is ok.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk87 View Post

After Ubuntu installed fine i formatted again and its letting me install windows now. Not sure why that made any difference. Seems like all of the factory installed HP garbage was screwing something up.

Can anyone recommend a good windows based hard drive test? After this finishes i want to make sure the hard drive is ok.
Post a screenshot of the Health tab in HDTune.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post

Take out the drive from laptop. Connect it to your PC and format it with NTFS.

Try again.
This ^

EDIT: oops I did'nt refresh the page
tongue.gif
and when I posted it was already 10 minutes later than I opened the page
tongue.gif

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its not hooked up to the internet at the moment, but there was an error with "Calibration Retry Count"

Running chkdsk at the moment though.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk87 View Post

Its not hooked up to the internet at the moment, but there was an error with "Calibration Retry Count"

Running chkdsk at the moment though.
Calibration Retry Count generally points to a bad cable, in your case maybe a bad port. I'd blame the HDD. See if the number increases in the next few days. If it doesn't, then no need to worry.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some bad sector warnings too now.

I managed to get the computer running, the rest isn't my problem. Thanks for the tips guys.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Isn't there something to remove all the bad sectors (scattered all over the HDD) to the very "end" of the HDD? (outer layers)

And you could "lock" them there, so the first part of the HDD is still usable?

The HDD will get a bit smaller in capacity tho...

I believe the computer store did that once with a buddy of mine his HDD... years ago...

But I guess it's just better to buy a new HDD since it's not costing that much...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts