Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Microsoft has announced that its Your Phone app will soon be getting a new apps feature that will let Samsung phone users run their Android apps in app windows on Windows 10 via streaming. This is a step further from the Phone Screen feature, which would let you control your phone using your PC.

The new apps feature will show you a list of all the Android apps that are installed on your phone, and clicking on an app in the Your Phone app will remotely connect to your phone and place that app in a window as if it were running locally on the device. This feature essentially brings Android apps to Windows, but powered by your phone instead of locally on the device.
Source: https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-your-phone-will-soon-let-you-run-android-apps-windows-windows-10

This is pretty cool, hope it comes to more devices eventually.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,334 Posts
Kinda reminds me of ANBOX but requires a phone.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,897 Posts
Like a more complicated version of running PrimeOS. Interesting.

·
Overclocker in training
13,064 Posts
Hi,
Just got an iphone SE good thing I don't care about mobile win-10 features or apps on large monitors :)

·
Premium Member
10,773 Posts
I'd rather see a simple vm clone of your phone so that your phone does not have to be hosting.
What a waste of resources, but its M$ so no big surprise there..

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,226 Posts
MS could find the cure for cancer and people would find something to complain about, lol.

·
mfw
8,642 Posts
MS could find the cure for cancer and people would find something to complain about, lol.
Typical Microsoft, making everyone working in oncology lose their jobs.

·
professional curmudgeon
10,391 Posts
one day MS, apple, linux and android* will all sit in a circle, joining hands and singing kumbaya*.

* i know, its just a damn joke!

·
Overclocker in training
13,064 Posts
Hi,
MS can't find the cure for a failed build launch lol

·
OG AMD
8,803 Posts
Like I really want Microsoft automatically downloading everything on my phone every time I plug it in to a USB port to charge. You can't even just transfer a file via USB without install this POS spyware.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like I really want Microsoft automatically downloading everything on my phone every time I plug it in to a USB port to charge. You can't even just transfer a file via USB without install this POS spyware.
This is definitely not true. You absolutely can transfer files via USB without installing anything.

·
Overclocker in training
13,064 Posts
This is definitely not true. You absolutely can transfer files via USB without installing anything.
Hi,
That wasn't his concern either

Win-10 auto mounts drives unless you change a setting and the way this app/ feature would work would likely do the same seeing you have to agree to grant access to the phone... and once you do, everything on this device is accessed by 10 and thus ms telemetry.

Whether it's one app as used or all apps at the same time no telling probably all seeing compatibility process starts and data has to be transferred so it shows up on your desktop/.. screen that means ms has it repeat every time you connect your phone to just to maybe charge it and not use the phone app crap.

Guess the easy thing would be to deny 10 access on the phone when prompted but this may become a repeating request.

·
Expert pin bender
2,185 Posts
I'd rather see a simple vm clone of your phone so that your phone does not have to be hosting.
What a waste of resources, but its M$ so no big surprise there..
The reason they want your phone hosting it, is... surprise, surprise... data collection...

Hi,
That wasn't his concern either

Win-10 auto mounts drives unless you change a setting and the way this app/ feature would work would likely do the same seeing you have to agree to grant access to the phone... and once you do, everything on this device is accessed by 10 and thus ms telemetry.

Whether it's one app as used or all apps at the same time no telling probably all seeing compatibility process starts and data has to be transferred so it shows up on your desktop/.. screen that means ms has it repeat every time you connect your phone to just to maybe charge it and not use the phone app crap.

Guess the easy thing would be to deny 10 access on the phone when prompted but this may become a repeating request.
Yeah,but were just complaining at Microsoft because they can cure cancer.... lol..

·
LTSC for life crew
2,897 Posts
interesting. Windows 10 seemed unable to recognize my LG G7 for transferring photos and documents until I installed the official LG USB driver - then all worked as it should.

·
Premium Member
10,773 Posts
We need to see someone monetize and finish ReactOS, this black box windows hole has just wasted multiple generations of the industries time for M$ monetization. There really should be a Secure backward comparable OS available for windows binaries. And NO linux in its current form does not fit this model.

·
Overclocker in training
13,064 Posts
The reason they want your phone hosting it, is... surprise, surprise... data collection...

Yeah,but were just complaining at Microsoft because they can cure cancer.... lol..
Hi,
lol yeah funny part is these dorks don't even use win-10 they use a copout old enterprise version or even more lame win-8.. then wonder why everyone complains about the real win-10 home or pro everyone else uses garbage.
They really don't care about the feature in the op because their old version of 10 won't even support it lol = ocn forum sponsored trolls.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,334 Posts
Hi,
lol yeah funny part is these dorks don't even use win-10 they use a copout old enterprise version or even more lame win-8.. then wonder why everyone complains about the real win-10 home or pro everyone else uses garbage.
They really don't care about the feature in the op because their old version of 10 won't even support it lol = ocn forum sponsored trolls.
The issue is that people are just streaming a Samsung phone on Windows. It would be easier just to dock the phone using Samsung DeX.

These are better alternatives:

Windows/Mac: https://www.bluestacks.com/
Linux: https://anbox.io/

• Rep+
Reactions: ThrashZone

·
professional curmudgeon
10,391 Posts
bluestacks blows

there, i said it.

·
PC Enthusiast
975 Posts
The constant fear of billion dollar tech giants finding ingenious ways to steal your data.

• Rep+
Reactions: ThrashZone

·
Overclocker in training
13,064 Posts
Hi,
Frankly I don't see the cell phone desktop connection fascination ms has, just dumbs down desktop ui for what a stupid cell app what ever pretty much why ms cell phones were always crap and now they work on crapping out andriod.. lol :thumb:

Not to mention how bad win-10 scaling really is lol

1 - 20 of 45 Posts