Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i got Unbutu on a decent PC for testing. I downloaded Wine for windows emulation. I dont know WTH im doing so can someone show me how to use wine, i tried opening a few different installers (firefox, adaware) just to see if the installer would launch... i tried opening them through "wineapploader.in" and "winelauncher.in" niether worked. Im working off wine-0.9.24.

Can someone also give me a list of the extentions used in unbutu?

Thanks
~Higgins

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
im interested too. i wish i could help but i just installed ubuntu last night...

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
To open a program using WINE, type the following (this is asuming you want to run "program.exe" and its in your home directory and your name is Jack
) "wine /home/jack/program.exe".

Just so you know, EVERYTHING in Linux, and I mean EVERYTHING runs from the command line. Yes, there is a GUI, but its only for pretty things like web pages and the like.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the freaking binary files, so i dunno how to even install WINE... HELP or the whole linux thing goes out the door

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
I open things with wine by right clicking, hitting "open with" then typing in "wine."

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
i think he means have a window open with linux on and still using Windows XP as default OS.

try VMWARE, its really expensive to buy but it does they job. i use to with some of my Distro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts