Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a router that does most of my firewall stuff, so if I just use Windows firewall will it be enough?

It's just for my gaming PC (I don't even log into my emails on it), which knowing my "sources" it might already have a virus, I don't care that much as long as it doesn't slow things down.

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
For the longest time i have been using just a firewall on my laptop and i've been fine. I would recommend having CCleaner though. It will definitely clear some crap you might pick up from the internet.

If you do decide to get an anti-virus, go with AVG. It's free and i can't even tell its running. I recently installed it on my laptop. I didn't want to but I decided i probably should. With my semi-low laptop specs, I couldn't believe it still ran fast even with AVG at startup and while running the laptop.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys, there's no way I'd run totally without a AV.
I already have Avira installed, but it doesn't have a firewall.

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
lol yeah i was running totally without an AV on my laptop for about 3 years. It was fine as long as my firewall was turned on and I used CCleaner every time I was done web browsing.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHoleSon
View Post

Comodo or Zonealarm. Either one is good for being free.

One of the worst viruses out there....

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by allenottawa
View Post

I already have a router that does most of my firewall stuff, so if I just use Windows firewall will it be enough?

It's just for my gaming PC (I don't even log into my emails on it), which knowing my "sources" it might already have a virus, I don't care that much as long as it doesn't slow things down.

If you're that concerned, you could go the virtualization route and have a virtual guest OS on your workstation that you use for various internet activities. If the virtual machine gets infected, it's a helluvalot easier to restore to a previous state, or even just build a new one....

That's what I do - My gaming system / workstation just purrs along running games and what not. All the surfing and "normal" work is done on a virtual machine...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComGuards
View Post

If you're that concerned, you could go the virtualization route and have a virtual guest OS on your workstation that you use for various internet activities. If the virtual machine gets infected, it's a helluvalot easier to restore to a previous state, or even just build a new one..

Yup, it's called snapshots.

·
Registered
255 Posts
For your average every day home user, windows firewall is fine.

If you want some fantastic security+firewall go for Eset Nod32 Smart Security

1 - 12 of 12 Posts