Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When ever I start up xp, it goes past the logo screen and hangs right before the logon. I really want to try out my new gfx card before break is over, I tryed installing xp on three different hard drives and no go.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Try loading into safe mode, and uninstalling any dispaly drivers. Even if you dont have them load into safe mode, then try loading into windows normally. Did you also replace the mobo?

• Rep+
Reactions: emericaskater232

·
Premium Member
8,379 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by emericaskater232

When ever I start up xp, it goes past the logo screen and hangs right before the logon. I really want to try out my new gfx card before break is over, I tryed installing xp on three different hard drives and no go.

Did the problem start after you installed the new card? If so, did you unistalled the drivers from the previous one before installing the new card?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it started before installed it, I tried to start it up in safe mode again, YET AGAIN, ITS THE FAMOUS MUP.SYS. How do i disable that now.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
If you cant even get into safe mode then theres something wrong with your computer... And you tried 3 hard drives? If this happened to be I would try a reformat and a fresh install of window, but youve done that 3 times.... mobo,psu,processor,3d card? It sounds like a hardware thing to me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have just removed everything besides my ram, cd drive and cpu(onboard gfx now) and still wont boot up, time to call microsoft? It is not the mobo because every once in a while it boots up but it runs really really slow, but the sucess rate is 1 in 20. Should I try formating in fat32?

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
That shouldnt matter.. You mean you get into actual windows, but its really slow... and 1 in 20 sucess rate? If it boots up only some times (like turns on) that could be a PSU issue.

So... your comp wasnt booting up with your old graphics card, so you bought a new one, and it still wont boot up?

If your comp was working before this new 3d card, then your PSU might not be able to handle it...or its a faulty 3d card.

I also found this: http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/31874/

And another guy on another site said it was is USB 2.0 card causing it. He says to take out everything in your PCI-Slots and try.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did everything there, sata drive controller was disconnected. Only three things connected. I highly doubt that it is the power supply. I have a feeling its the mobo. If it is i might just get a hole new system

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Well before going to that extreme of that... Do a search for MUP.SYS around the net... Theres lots of people having it stop there. Also I would call microsoft to and ask why it stops there, maybe they can help you better than me. You shouldnt have to buy a whole new system, nothing may be even broken.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally fixed it, I disabled every onboard thing and restarted. It worked, Reenabled it and it works, Im so happy!

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Im glad to hear you fixed it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts