Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I subscribe to the Windows IT Pro WinInfo Daily update newsletter. I didn't see a link to the article on their website, so here's a copy/paste from the newsletter.

Quote:


Take That, EU: Microsoft Tests Removable IE
By Paul Thurrott

Facing possible regulatory action in Europe, Microsoft has begun quietly testing a secret new Windows 7 feature: The ability for end users to completely remove Internet Explorer (IE) 8.0 from the OS. Microsoft has staunchly defended its right to bundle IE with Windows over the years, and charges that the bundling was illegal were thrown out in its previous US antitrust case. But with mounting pressure, and an array of browser competitors joining the current EU investigation, Microsoft appears to have found away to silence all complaints. It will simply let users remove IE 8.0.

At least that's one possibility. Microsoft could simply be testing the removal functionality in interim Windows 7 pre-release builds in order to make sure it's ready in the future if the EU were to rule against it. Such functionality might only find its way into versions of Windows 7 that are sold in Europe, for example.

While we're speculating, it's worth wondering about Microsoft's previous claims that IE was so deeply integrated into Windows that removing it would render the OS unusable. In fact, Microsoft executives provided a demonstration of this non-working Windows version during the US antitrust trial several years ago.

Of course, a lot has changed since then. Beginning with Windows Vista, Microsoft rearchitected its core desktop OS to be more componentized. In such a system, dependencies between different OS components are minimized, making it easier for Microsoft, its partners, and, ultimately, its customers to add and remove the features they want. It's possible that, with Windows 7, removing IE is as technically simple as removing any other Windows feature.

Regardless of the motives or technical aspects of this change, Microsoft's testing of such a feature is telling: The company is getting ready to meet a potential EU legal setback in such a way that would render the ruling immediately moot. That's just smart business.

In related news, the EU on Tuesday announced that it would no longer require Microsoft to be actively monitored by a full-time trustee. That monitoring was part of the EU's original 2004 antitrust ruling against the software giant. The EU still has several other active investigations against Microsoft, including the aforementioned IE/Windows bundling investigation.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
EU. They are so lawsuit happy - they seem so misguided.
In related news, I'm glad to hear that IE8 will be removable. Although I'm sure MS will include a few caveats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Maybe research the OS before you buy it EU? Ehhhhh it's their own why should they have to customize it because EU wants? So lame, but good news for Windows 7 if it can be removed
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,373 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by e_dogg
View Post

I subscribe to the Windows IT Pro WinInfo Daily update newsletter. I didn't see a link to the article on their website, so here's a copy/paste from the newsletter.

This is weird because and stupid. MS should have the right to bundle in their software. If you want to remove it, don't use it and call it a day.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,067 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by r34p3rex
View Post

Wait, why doesn't Apple have to remove Safari?

Apple OSX ships with IE also so that's why they are left alone.

MS only ships with IE. I am one of the few that think that MS Windows should ship with whatever they want.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,000 Posts
I imagine a lot of people will download secondary disk images to take advantage of using their legit key with an IE free version of windows.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by MikersSU
View Post

EU. They are so lawsuit happy - they seem so misguided.
In related news, I'm glad to hear that IE8 will be removable. Although I'm sure MS will include a few caveats.

That's what socialism will do...someone has a great idea and makes a pot of money on it and the state says "gimmie".

Quote:


Originally Posted by Kerack
View Post

Maybe research the OS before you buy it EU? Ehhhhh it's their own why should they have to customize it because EU wants? So lame, but good news for Windows 7 if it can be removed


Exactly - it's just silliness. But the same thing that they were under fire here in the US for.

Quote:


Originally Posted by KamuiRSX
View Post

This is weird because and stupid. MS should have the right to bundle in their software. If you want to remove it, don't use it and call it a day.

I think their point was that IE is not removable. But you're right, there's nothing preventing someone from installing a 3rd party app. Just look how well FF has been doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,081 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by killerhz
View Post

Apple OSX ships with IE also so that's why they are left alone.

MS only ships with IE. I am one of the few that think that MS Windows should ship with whatever they want.

I with you on this... Its Microsoft's Software... let them bundle the OS as they choose. The only thing it could harm, is Microsoft.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top