Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this OLD iMac where I work and I have it running OSX just fine, I have some user limitations but I'll figure those out later. My question is, can those old iMacs (monitor and mobo all built in)

I'm not sure if its an intel x86 CPU or the old IBM cpu that doesnt support windows. any ideas?

if it doesnt support windows then can I install something like ubuntu?

·
Registered
990 Posts
That's a G3 iMac and it utilizes the Powermac G3 processor. AKAIK, you can't install Windows. I've heard of people installing OSX 10.4 with some upgrades. Here is a post of somebody installing Ubuntu on their iMac, check it out

http://www.nuketown.com/node/2316

·
god loves ugly
4,212 Posts
Almost certain that is PowerPC based, so you'll have to find an older Linux distro. I really doubt you'll get Windows (without emulation), and I believe PowerPC support has been getting phased out of the Linux kernel (I could very easily be wrong, though).

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so from all the lixuseseseszz that I have used (ubuntu and fedora) they all seem to be very similar to me, so this "debian" will also look and perform similar, correct?

also, I found out that "Finder" is version 10.0 and is register from 19xx-2003

if that gives you any idea on it.

finally, how can I find out what specs does it have?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
found out what the specs are
400MHz PowerPC G3
192 MB SDRAM
9.92 GB HDD

lol

I guess debian it is!

+rep

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/...owerpc/iso-cd/

debian-506-powerpc-CD-1.iso

grab that one, it is all you need, burn it, there is a key combo you press to boot from cd but i don't remember what it is.

it should look generally like debian that uses gnome, so ubuntu uses gnome, so it should look something like that.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Ubuntu uses Debian for its base, so if you've used Ubuntu with Gnome (the default), then you should have no issue with Debian.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys!

one more thing, debian will format the HDD and whats the boot key combo?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
um, on my macbook pro holding down c boots from a cd, and holding option lets you switch between boot partitions. Might be the same on your imac.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
If you go with a GUI your gong to want something lightweight, probably even more so than XFCE. =( That's mainly because of the ram, XFCE in 5.06 boots at 350-400MB? that's with GDM and a bunch of stuff, I could probably get it down to like 300 but you'd get even more with other WM's or get more SDRAM, I've got some...
lol

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
i would have to check but i honestly think the ppc version i have uses xfce by default...its been about 8 months since i booted into it

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im installing debian right now.
almost done!!!

lets see if it connects to the internet after it installs....

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
lol if debian don't connect I'd be surprised, unless of course it's brand new hardware cause debian is known to be a lil' slow... but on old hardware? Debian does do some pretty bomb stuff.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
here's something interesting, when I get to log in for the first time, I can says
name login: then I type my name
password:

doesnt allow me to type a password no matter what. only press enter.

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
lol, the password is masked, it wont show up.

it wont even do **** it will just be invisible, just type it and press enter.

i think it is a security feature in *nix's so some one watching doesn't even know how many characters are in it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts