Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so i installed Linux Mint 12 last night, and decided i didn't like it. So i used EasyBCD to uninstall everything correctly, now my windows is all of sudden not genuine. Why is this? What happened? I tried system restore and that didn't work either.

Anybody got any insight on this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
All you have to do is revalidate your key.

When the message pops up saying your windows is not genuine click on it.
Theres an option in there to enter your key or to purchase a new one or something along those lines.
Simply put your key in again.
And you're done. Super easy.

Restores are kind of silly, they generally only fix minor problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticapex View Post

All you have to do is revalidate your key.
When the message pops up saying your windows is not genuine click on it.
Theres an option in there to enter your key or to purchase a new one or something along those lines.
Simply put your key in again.
And you're done. Super easy.
Restores are kind of silly, they generally only fix minor problems.
I don't have the key, I didn't do this install.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
633 Posts
Well windows 7 shouldnt have a problem reactivating if your key is valid. It'll just connect to microsoft and verify the key, the worst thing that could happen is you'll have to go through the phone activation thing.

This usually happens to me when I change my processor or unlock some cores. Windows 7 asks me to reactivate and I just let it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeinescandal View Post

Well windows 7 shouldnt have a problem reactivating if your key is valid. It'll just connect to microsoft and verify the key, the worst thing that could happen is you'll have to go through the phone activation thing.
This usually happens to me when I change my processor or unlock some cores. Windows 7 asks me to reactivate and I just let it.
This.. but I figured that you already considered and had some reason for not doing so already.

Or crack it.. all it does it disables WAT which doesn't have to be installed in the first place - doesn't mess with anything else and your windows will still be genuine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
78

I don't have the product key, I wanna know why EasyBCD conflicted like this and i wanna know why my windows isn't genuine anymore and i wanna know if there's a way to get it back to genuine,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despair View Post

78
I don't have the product key, I wanna know why EasyBCD conflicted like this and i wanna know why my windows isn't genuine anymore and i wanna know if there's a way to get it back to genuine,
Use this program, and it will give you your Product Key. Then use it to reactivate.
smile.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despair View Post

78
I don't have the product key, I wanna know why EasyBCD conflicted like this and i wanna know why my windows isn't genuine anymore and i wanna know if there's a way to get it back to genuine,
Download this and give it a try. This will extract the Windows 7 key,

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post

Use this program, and it will give you your Product Key. Then use it to reactivate.
smile.gif
238

wow what the hell...

see according to that error code the key is blocked or is already in use. my perception of this is microsoft already thinks someone is using this key (me) and then i entered my own key and it just gives me that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If i call MS support, will they ask me blah blah blah so and so personal info, because i didn't buy this install and i don't know any of the credentials behind it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can but i owe them money lol so i don't think so.

uh, the key is oem, does that count toward anything?

someone remind me never to touch a linux distro ever again, it's so damn complicated, even the ones aimed at being easy. or am i just being mad and windows biased lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despair View Post

I can but i owe them money lol so i don't think so.
uh, the key is oem, does that count toward anything?
someone remind me never to touch a linux distro ever again, it's so damn complicated, even the ones aimed at being easy. or am i just being mad and windows biased lol
Well, I do have to ask why do you want to use Windows Boot Manager? You have to use GRUB anyway to boot Linux. All WBM have done is chain boot GRUB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Because i wanted to uninstall it and i cannot uninstall it by just deleting the partitions because grub will mess up my windows boot. And I needed EasyBCD to make sure that the WBM was first in line so grub didn't try to boot so i could get into windows. If i don't use EasyBCD and replace the WBM to be in front grub will just keep booting up grub rescue and therefore i could not get into windows. There might've been a much simpler way but this is the way i found out how to uninstall it properly.

Also i just installed a language pack to see if i could still get updates, and it worked. So i guess i'm okay afterall. The main reason i was worried was because then i'd get no more windows updates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Just call MS and give them your key and tell them what happened they will give you a new one they are really good about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
999 Posts
Call MS and let them have the key. They can check it for you. As for personal information, yes they'll ask for it, they won't proceed further, if you don't provide it. It's actually required when they think you need a new product key and they'll provide you one.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top