Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this is a 2 part question.
Part 1:
I had windows 7 32bit installed before with my stock cpu @2.40GHz. I then 1 day later overclocked it to 3.01GHz. I think went into System to see if Windows would recognize it at the clock speed at 3.01GHz. It didnt. So i went "okay, might as well upgrade to 64bit since I get this new 1GB and im gonna upgrade later." so I install the 64bit version, And do the rating blah blah blah, And the system still slows it at 2.40GHz clock speed. BUT, when i install the SAME windows 7 64bit on a VM, It shows it at 3.00GHz. (Picture Below)

Physical PC w/ Win7Home64bit:2.40GHZ
VM w/ Win7Home64bit:3.00GHz

Why is this happening? How come the physical PC isn't reading this but the VM is?

Part2:
On the physical PC, The windows rating thing rates my "Primary Hard Drive" as a 5.9. (40gb big, OS Only, IDE). BUT on the VM again, the rating rates it a 6.6. (40gb big, OS Only, IDE) Same hard drive settings and size. (See Below VM rating)

Again, Why is this happening? There both the same hardware (For Both problems) but the VM is reading the CPU AND the HDD transfer rate higher. If anyone has any answers for either problem 1,2 or even both, Please help me with this. Thank You.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Birdy1337 View Post
Okay this is a 2 part question.
Part 1:
I had windows 7 32bit installed before with my stock cpu @2.40GHz. I then 1 day later overclocked it to 3.01GHz. I think went into System to see if Windows would recognize it at the clock speed at 3.01GHz. It didnt. So i went "okay, might as well upgrade to 64bit since I get this new 1GB and im gonna upgrade later." so I install the 64bit version, And do the rating blah blah blah, And the system still slows it at 2.40GHz clock speed. BUT, when i install the SAME windows 7 64bit on a VM, It shows it at 3.00GHz. (Picture Below)

Physical PC w/ Win7Home64bit:2.40GHZ
VM w/ Win7Home64bit:3.00GHz

Why is this happening? How come the physical PC isn't reading this but the VM is?

Part2:
On the physical PC, The windows rating thing rates my "Primary Hard Drive" as a 5.9. (40gb big, OS Only, IDE). BUT on the VM again, the rating rates it a 6.6. (40gb big, OS Only, IDE) Same hard drive settings and size. (See Below VM rating)

Again, Why is this happening? There both the same hardware (For Both problems) but the VM is reading the CPU AND the HDD transfer rate higher. If anyone has any answers for either problem 1,2 or even both, Please help me with this. Thank You.
Lots of stuff going on, and I don't have many answers. Actually, I have a question. I'm amazed that your IDE hard drive gets a 6.6 rating--I'd imagine that it would be far slower than that.

I do know that windows has always been buggy in reporting actual clock speed vs. rated/stock. I wonder--what if you installed the 32-bit version as a VM, would you get the same results as with your native OS?

Sorry, not many answers here.

Are all updates installed? Maybe it was a bug in a previous version?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts