Overclock.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I am in the BIOS my fans run when I am in grub my fans run when I am on ubuntu my fans run but not when I am in windows. Could windows be overriding the BIOS fan control? If so how do I fix it? My hunch is I need to change the HAL from being ACPI pc to APCI uni processor pc. My laptop is an acer aspire 5315 and I installed windows XP on it, it didn't come pre installed.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
The windows drivers are probably more specific for your laptop and thus lowering the fan speed according to the temperatures.

To see if Windows is indeed running the fans based on temperature, boot into windows and modify the power settings so that it does not turn off or go on stand by and set it on your bed. If the fan turns on after it starts getting hot then windows is just throttling the fan speed, if not i wouldnt know why.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it seems now that when i boot into another operating system, restart and boot windows it works the thing is when i go into stanby the computer won't turn back on i have to pull the plug and battery. When i start it over again the fan isn't working till i re boot into ubuntu and back. I assume this is ACPI problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts