Overclock.net banner

Windows Server 2022, can "regular" hardware run it ?

2484 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Basts
Hi peeps,

With previous versions I have been able to install them on up to date hardware without any real issues, any missing drivers I could source from other places etc.

Is the same thing valid for Windows Server 2022 ?

Im looking to buy the OEM 64bit 16 core version and pair it with a Ryzen x570 or equivalent Intel motherboard
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
472 Posts
Normal systems aren't typically designed to run Windows Server. You might not be able to, but it never hurts to try. Tho you might wanna check the full system requirements to be sure your system matches up (Hardware requirements for Windows Server). Worst case, you likely can run it on Hyper-V or VMware.

· 50 Cans of Ravioli
36,857 Posts
yes it'll work. I'm running Server 2022 on an 8700K/Z390 Taichi.

· Tank destroyer and a god
2,921 Posts
Server editions are not much different from user-oriented ones in terms of system core and drivers. Usually there is additional support for certain features such as virtualization, and the installation is lacking some GUI eye candies.

· Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your response. Will purchase something of latest generation and hope all goes well

:D

· Registered
667 Posts
Normal systems aren't typically designed to run Windows Server. You might not be able to, but it never hurts to try. Tho you might wanna check the full system requirements to be sure your system matches up (Hardware requirements for Windows Server). Worst case, you likely can run it on Hyper-V or VMware.
What? Why not? Windows server like Linux is made to be installed on all sorts of hardware including commodity hardware. I ran w server on all kinds of machines, windows server smb is still quite popular.

· Registered
5,459 Posts
I run it on a i7 4770 and a AsRock Z87-M Pro4. Works totally fine.

· Iconoclast
34,173 Posts
As stated it's essentially a less bloated Windows 11 and most everything should work fine.

There is one notable exception with Windows Server, in my experience: AMD's consumer drivers generally won't install on it (without modding). NVIDIA is fine, and the same drivers you'd use for Windows 10/11 work without issue, but AMD's graphics drivers are pickier.

· Registered
472 Posts
What? Why not? Windows server like Linux is made to be installed on all sorts of hardware including commodity hardware. I ran w server on all kinds of machines, windows server smb is still quite popular.
As stated it's essentially a less bloated Windows 11 and most everything should work fine.

There is one notable exception with Windows Server, in my experience: AMD's consumer drivers generally won't install on it (without modding). NVIDIA is fine, and the same drivers you'd use for Windows 10/11 work without issue, but AMD's graphics drivers are pickier.
I stand corrected. Maybe that was my issue, every time I'd installed it natively, its been on an AMD system (CPU & GPU). Every time I'd installed it natively, I had all sorts of random issues with each install. I started using VMWare or Hyper-V instead and have not had an issue since.

· Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has anybody used the small/big core architecture aka "Alder Lake" with Windows Sever 2022, does it work as it should ?

· Iconoclast
34,173 Posts
I stand corrected. Maybe that was my issue, every time I'd installed it natively, its been on an AMD system (CPU & GPU). Every time I'd installed it natively, I had all sorts of random issues with each install. I started using VMWare or Hyper-V instead and have not had an issue since.
I just finished installing Server 2022 on my main gaming system after bricking my old Windows 10 install (I had backups, but they were old enough I figured I'd give Server 2022 a go on this rig). Other than having to install the chipset and GPU drivers manually, everything went smoothly...well as smoothing as it ever goes with Windows.

Has anybody used the small/big core architecture aka "Alder Lake" with Windows Sever 2022, does it work as it should ?
Haven't tried it.

Server 2022 is derived from Windows 10, but unlike prior versions of Server it's build is on it's own (newer) branch and does seem to have some scheduling and power profile differences from Windows 10 and Server 2019. I don't know if it can handle heterogenous CPUs as well as Windows 11 can, but if it can't I suspect it will be able to soon as it's going to be in mainstream support until 2026, and Alder Lake Xeons are due this year.

• Rep+
Reactions: mongoled
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.