Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reinstalling windows because a while back my power supply died and took the hard drive with it. <br />
<br />
In setup, once I've f6'd and loaded my SATA drivers (the mobo is an Abit VA-20, sempron proc), windows creates a list of files to be copied to the hard drive, but it NEVER finishes. It always says "Setup cannot load file sucn-and-such" It;s never been the same file (to my knowledge, and if I choose to skip the file, setup can't read any other files after that one. Setup has never copied more than 4% of the files to the hdd.<br />
<br />
Now I'm thinking that the mobo may be bad too. Please let me kno if I'm and/or what can be done to fix the problem.<br />
<br />
-Motherboard does not retain CMOS data, period.<br />
-Setup will not continue, even with different WinXP install discs (I've even tried loading Ubuntu with no luck)<br />
-I've tried multiple optical drives with different ide cables<br />
-I've tried different hard drives (IDE and SATA)<br />
-There's nothing in any of the expansion slots, the only things connected are the PSU, Mobo, Proc, Optical and Hard drive<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
If i can't figure out what's going on I'm just going to buy a new computer, which isn't neccessarily a bad thing. But if there's anything to be milked from this system yet, i want to make use of it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Motherboard does not retain CMOS data, period<br />
<br />
sounds like a new battery is for mb? Could it be possible that the psu took more with it than just the hard drive? Not familiar with sata drives but sounds like a problem getting data onto drive could mean a mb problem. No expert tho just my 2 cents.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts