Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 64gb partition on my SSD for my Windows 7 install. It's been sitting at around 20gb used forever. Earlier I noticed that my Windows partition had swollen to 62gb for some reason. I ran CCleaner and wiped 2gb of temp and other assorted junk. I ran the windows Disk Cleanup and deleted Windows Update leftovers, emptied the recycle bin, and cleaned some stuff off the desktop. Right now I'm sitting at 53gb but it's still not right. I don't install anything in the OS partition if I can help it. It's basically just the OS and drivers.

It got a little bit more confusing when I ran WinDirStat. It's only showing 25.4gb used and that's right in line with where it normally is. Windows still reports 53gb used.

I'm not sure what's making Windows report the drive usage incorrectly but that seems to be what's going on. Any ideas? This system has been running for about a year with no hardware changes and this just popped up out of the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Check hibernation, recovery points and updates.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha216 View Post

Check hibernation, recovery points and updates.
Already did all that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post

Check the size of your C:\Windows\winsxs folder
It's 10gb.

I don't think my issue is that the drive is full for some unknown reason, it's that Windows is reporting it to be full when it's not. Even WinDirStat says it's only got 25gb on it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Use a disk explorer program that will show which folders takes the most space. Or you can set to see the hidden and system files, and see if you can find something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts