Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Straight Outta Commadore
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very slow upload on my cable, so it takes about 30 minutes to send an average A3 core WU back to Standford. What I was wondering was why does it not download and start working on another WU while it is sending the last one? It will wait till the WU is completely sent to attempt to get another, wasting 30 minutes x3 times a day for a total of 90 minutes of lost crunching for me.

I know it can be done simultaneously(sending+working on another)because you can exit out of the command prompt as soon as it tries to send. When you open it back up it downloads another WU and starts working on it, while sending the previous completed WU in the background. I first noticed it would do this today, when I accidentally hit the x instead of minimize. When it came back up, it downloaded and start working the WU but I noticed my web pages bogging down, so I opened up my network status box and it was sending away. About 5% into the new WU completion, it gave me the "Thanks for Contributing to...." message.

So I ask, why do they not change it so that it works like that all the time, or at least give an option? Does anyone know of an option to change or flag to add to make it function this way? It isn't a huge deal, but we could be losing out on a good chunk when you add all the clients up, that do this on each machine, especially people on slow upload or dial-up. If I am on my computer, I will be doing my manual method of exiting and re-opening to save 30 minutes, but that will only help on the times I catch it by chance. Anyway, more of a rant than anything, but if anyone knows of a way to change this, I would be grateful.

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
30 mins for a ~10mb file? Ouch.

I don't think there's a way to get around it besides Stanford changing something. I know there's a sleep time between WUs but I'm not sure if that can be adjusted and whether the client will allow you to download and upload at the same time.

Is this the tray client?

~B~

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
I think it's more a glitch in the client (automatically starts downloading a WU if not folding on one) than a built in work around.

I'll post something on FF and see if they have any answers.

·
Straight Outta Commadore
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the console SMP2 client BlankThis. And the file sizes are usually around 20-28MB for me on A3 Cores. My upload sucks though, capping at about 12-14 KB/sec.

I would like to at least ask for this to be an option to be put in the next drop in update. Just a simple "Download a new WU and start work on, then start sending previous WU" or "Download New WU before trying to Send" option would do, anything along those lines would suffice. Just think of all the people with slow uploads that lose hours a day due to this.

Edit: BlankThis: The console probably will not download and upload at the same time, but it can download and while working on it, send the finished one. So it can do 2 things at once in that respect. My reasoning is, everyone has faster download than upload, so makes sense to download a new one first, in about 10 seconds, then soon as it starts working it, start the send command. Just think it would produce more work finished and ppd for a good lot of people with slow uploads.

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Ok, posted a thread at FF. Hopefully toTOW will be along with info soon. I'm going to sleep now, so won't check in on it until tomorrow, but keep an eye out if he gives any answers.

·
Straight Outta Commadore
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, thanks zodac. I'll keep an eye on that and maybe post some stuff myself to try to give some reasoning behind why that should be an option

·
Straight Outta Commadore
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For anyone that cares, they are adding the function soon, if not in the next update. So it should send WUs after you start a new WU or simultaneously, instead of having to wait for it to send then start working on a new one after it has completed the send. Confirmed through "Bruce" over at the folding forum. Here is his quote:

Quote:

Re: Download new WU while uploading results

Postby bruce » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:38 am
This feature is on the enhancement list for the next client version. We'll have to wait for the actual client to see what actually makes the cut, but the Pande Group is aware of the issue.

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Haha, I was looking for this thread to update it the other day, but lost it.

Anyway, good news I guess. Should make folding that little bit easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts