Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked around on other forums and no one ever replied so I hoped I could get some more light here...

Anyways, quick info. Not sig PC, bro's PC. Asus p5q, e5200, 2gb gskill ddr2-800, Nvidia 8600gt pci-e. Custom built.

What happens:
- Windows XP 32bit loads into the GUI, right before it loads the icons, start bar...etc it just stalls there, mouse is movable I think...
- Nothing is loaded, can't do CTRL ALT DEL
- Cannot get in via safe mode, same thing happens in safe mode(stalls)

What I've done:
- Formated hard drive(sata) numerous times, always works but after a week or so, it happens again
- Replaced hard drive with IDE HDD, same thing...works for a week....
- Installed windows on the same drive but different folder, without formating. Boots up fine, works for a week...same thing.
- Did memtest for about 8 hours. Not one error.
- Kept installed software to a minimum. (VLC, utorrent, firefox, AVG)
- Got all the latest drivers from ASUS and Nvidia

What I know:
- temps are fine (~30's idle)
- BIOS settings are all default (haven't updated BIOS though)

Anyone know what could be going on? Could it be a motherboard failure? Now, this computer DOES go back to his house when I'm done reinstalling XP, who knows what he and his gf does to it, as far as sites and apps installed...

Sorry if it's a super long post, just tired of having to format his PC every week. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
have any idea what they could be doing or downloading onto the computer? Why not try fixing it and keeping it for a while and seeing if you can replicate the issue.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His gf seems to play those flash games and such. Some might require "installs". She's been known to install those annoying tool bars from the games she plays. I believe there might be a software issue but no way to prove it. I've installed a guest account but he's too scared to make it look like he's blaming her so he sometimes let's her use his account(admin).

Other than that and check email. I don't think or know if they do much else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts