Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just built a simple office PC.. Asus H61M-Pro with a G640.. 4GB Kingston ValueRam.. Corsair CX500m.. With Windows XP pro 32bit on a velociraptor drive.. and I'm having problems with Windows shutting down..
It just stays on the "windows is shutting down" screen..

Normally I'd think was something software related but the weird thing is.. I just put another hard drive in (Western Digital 7200rpm).. and installed Windows 7 pro 64 bit.. and I'm getting the same thing.. when shutting down.. it stays on the "Windows is shutting down"...

Anyone have any idea what's happening? Bios thing? Disabling fast boot hasn't changed anything..

There's no software installed yet.. Just drivers.. The mouse and keyboard use the two PS/2 inputs on the motherboard.. No USB drives or anything.. There's an optical drive.. and a dual bay 2.5" 3.5" drive bay which I'm using to swap in harddrives with the different operating systems..

Any help greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay, so this could be many things, Below I will list several questions that you should answer sop I can help you:

1.Do you have the latest service pack?
2.Are you using genuine windows bought from Microsoft?
3.Is your pc up to Windows XP standards including the processor?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the help. Really appreciate it.

1) It's service pack 3 for XP.. and I'm not 100% sure on the windows 7.. I can check later when I get home..

2) The windows 7 I bought on ebay and it came with a Dell labelled cd rather than windows... the XP I downloaded from getintopc as I can't seem to find my XP disk..

3) the motherboard supports both XP & 7.. and the CPU I'm not 100% sure how to check that.. there doesn't seem to be info on the intel page...

Thanks again for taking the time to help..

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentorin View Post

3.Is your pc up to Windows XP standards including the processor?
Obviously it is. Asus H61M-Pro with a G640 in it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honestly I would just hold down the power button until it powers off completely without showing that screen, or, if you don't HAVE to power down the PC just put it to sleep and you'll be good!
smile.gif
cheers.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentorin View Post

Honestly I would just hold down the power button until it powers off completely without showing that screen,
So, you're recommending that he does an IMPROPER shut down of Windows? That's a fast way to ruin his installation of Windows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay I'm not gonna argue with someone when I'm trying to help, go to your BIOS and there should be a option to reset to defaults, do that then see if that fixes your problem and adjust your settings to as needed, but if possible after every change you make to the BIOS check and see if it still works to make sure one thing that you usually do isn't the problem with your new motherboard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts