Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always keep my windows update set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" but today it automatically downloaded an update, then installed it all without my permission. I just got a reboot now to apply your updates....

The update shown in my successful update log is KB970158 but when I click the "more information" link it brings me to a dead page that says "sorry, but we couldn't find the page that you requested"

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a legit update or some ninja virus that I need to deal with?

EDIT: After googling the update number it seems like this installing without permission happened to many others.

http://www.google.com/search?q=KB970158&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

·
Registered
452 Posts
Were you putting off the updates when they popped up? Cause I'm pretty sure eventually if you keep clicking like remind me later, they will automatically update after so much time because they need to be done. This has happened to me before.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipr3;13057906
Were you putting off the updates when they popped up? Cause I'm pretty sure eventually if you keep clicking like remind me later, they will automatically update after so much time.
Nope, I didn't click it once or have anything pop up until it wanted a restart to apply the update.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp;13057913
Nope, I didn't click it once or have anything pop up until it wanted a restart to apply the update.
What kind of update was it because I think that ESSENTIAL updates will do them automatically also.... and the ones that ask you are updates that don't have extreme importance.

The only other thing I can think of is that you really didn't have the setting set to ask you first.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipr3;13057938
What kind of update was it because I think that ESSENTIAL updates will do them automatically also.... and the ones that ask you are updates that don't have extreme importance.

The only other thing I can think of is that you really didn't have the setting set to ask you first.
That's what I thought at first but I double checked and it was indeed set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". The screenshot in the original post is all of the info I have on it in regards to what type of update it is.

EDIT: After googling the update number it seems like this installing without permission happened to many others.

http://www.google.com/search?q=KB970158&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

·
Premium Member
14,187 Posts
You have it set to: Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them? And no, it's definitely not a virus. It's a legitimate update, it even links you to the support page for that update.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp;13057949
That's what I thought at first but I double checked and it was indeed set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". The screenshot in the original post is all of the info I have on it in regards to what type of update it is.
Hmm, yeah I just looked at mine also.... Thats very weird....

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen;13057961
You have it set to: Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them? And no, it's definitely not a virus. It's a legitimate update, it even links you to the support page for that update.
I already mentioned that the link takes you to a dead page on microsoft's site, there is no information about the update at all.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The Only thing I can think of is either you actually didn't have it set to ask you, which I'm sure you did. Or it was sooooooooo important it just needed to do it. And it was a windows update so it might be my second thought.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp;13057997
I already mentioned that the link takes you to a dead page on microsoft's site, there is no information about the update at all.
Hmm, try running your anti-virus. What program do you have?

·
Premium Member
14,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp;13057997
Didn't see you mentioned that. It's possible it's malware or a form of rogue software.

Do a scan with MWB or your preferred AV.

·
Premium Member
14,187 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
So I was partly right. I knew there was something that did auto updates even if you had it set to ask you, cause it has happened to me before, but I just brushed it off.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipr3;13058102
Need help with anything else??
Well I'm still a little paranoid as to why this was allowed to bypass my settings and then on top of that have no page on their website with information on the update. Nothing has been solved here. I guess I could just ignore it but this has never happened to me before with other windows updates.

Google just has other people asking the same question but no answer or solution was provided to anyone.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Based on the link grayfox99 provided, it sounds like this happens to you if you're using Vista. It's almost as if Microsoft somehow overrides your setting because this update is probably just that critical. The name "Kernel-Mode Driver Framework" tells me that Microsoft maybe felt that this one should not be skipped in Vista under any circumstance whatsoever. I mean, perhaps they felt that they had to force it because it's absolutely necessary.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.