Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have been having a persistent problem with a number of Windows 7 clients over the last 6 months or so.

The problem is that Windows Update keeps switching itself back on.

I have repeatedly set the Windows Update service to disabled but sometime later when I check the service status has changed back to manual and then we have the associated problem of a svchost.exe task eating up to 2GB of ram with 100% CPU usage in a seemingly never ending loop.

Something is causing this change in the service status, I was wondering if anyone had figured out what it was.

The main reason I want this off is that it is making several client machines unusable whilst it is running and these machines do not want to have the Windows 10 nags and eventual forced install as some of the software packages they run are incompatible with W10.

A similar thing is happening in versions of Windows Server caused by CCMEVAL.EXE, so what is causing this behaviour in Windows 7?

Edit:

More info:

I have deleted all data in the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder on the affected machines but the cycle just repeats itself.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
WUAUSERV? That's new to me, but what worked for me a few years ago is disabling Background Intelligent Transfer Service. Having both this and Windows Update set to Disabled in Services.msc seems to have worked. I haven't used Windows Update since July of 2012, so I don't know if anything is different now. Background Intelligent Transfer Service is what enables Windows Update to work.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

WUAUSERV? That's new to me, but what worked for me a few years ago is disabling Background Intelligent Transfer Service. Having both this and Windows Update set to Disabled in Services.msc seems to have worked. I haven't used Windows Update since July of 2012, so I don't know if anything is different now. Background Intelligent Transfer Service is what enables Windows Update to work.
Yep, disabling WU and BITS used to do the trick....no longer.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skummm View Post

Yep, disabling WU and BATS used to do the trick....no longer.
hehe 'BATS'. It's 'BITS'. :) I like 'BATS' more though!

Anyway, well goddamit @ Microsoft. heh Now I don't know what I'm going to do when the inevitable day comes along where I'm going to need to start with fresh installation of Windows 7.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

hehe 'BATS'. It's 'BITS'.
smile.gif
I like 'BATS' more though!

Anyway, well goddamit @ Microsoft. heh Now I don't know what I'm going to do when the inevitable day comes along where I'm going to need to start with fresh installation of Windows 7.
He he he
smile.gif

Corrected
wink.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts